Where to catfish these days?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gavin310, Dec 20, 2008.

1. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    I live near LAX. I'm pretty new to catfishing and have only tried Irvine, SARL, and Corona lakes for catfish. Only had luck at Corona thanks to BULLDOGBOOGERS. Sometimes you just feel like having some peace and quiet and want to avoid the pay lakes during the day. I know Castaic is supposed to have some cats, but I tried shore fishing the lagoon and the main lake without any luck (this was in the summer months.)

So my question... for shore fishing for cats and trout in the winter, where are some good places to try that aren't too far for me? (50-60 miles from LAX preferred). I know shore fishing for cats is tough to begin with, and it being winter will be even harder, so any advice is appreciated!!! I'd love to try some canals or rivers, but I'm pretty sure all of those are a long drive from LA.

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gavin, welcome to the BOC. Is there a parks and wildlife authority for the state of California? If so, check there website for information about area waters. I could give you a few spots, but they'd be in Texas.:big_smile:

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC. I hope that someone can get you in the right direction! I fished Irvine a few times back when I was stationed at El Toro.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I live near LAX too in Inglewood. There are a few parks like kenneth Hahn in L.A. Magic Johnson in L.A. that offers shore fishing. Its best to check on stocking schedules but catfish season is out right now. So far as other places within your range there is Irvine - trout season now. Santa Fe Dam, and a few places in the valley area. Truth of the matter is that the best catfishing is a litlte of a drive and right now the SD lakes is the best for catfishing right now. As weather warms, catfishing picks up universally near by.

5. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    Hey bluehunter! I'm right in Westchester... Manchester and Sepulveda, so we're neighbors. Santa Fe Dam looks interesting... never even heard of it. Do you know if people are catching trout there? I'm going to target trout since I know catfishing will be tough, but I will bring my mackerel and dip baits for some catfish too. Do you maybe also know any "secret" spots that I might have better luck at? :)

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Trout season is in affect now Here is a recent report from Jim Matthews.

SANTA FE DAM: DFG trout plant last week. The bite is picking up with some reported catches on Power Bait or nightcrawlers. Catfish bite still fair, but good action later in the day on mackerel, shrimp or chicken liver. Fairish bluegill bite on wax worms and nightcrawlers from 5 p.m. to dusk. Information: 626-334-1065.

If you want to be on top of the local bite this is where you want to go weekly for So Cal. www.outdoornewsservice.com. He even has the local L.A. park bite in there with contact numbers. Plus you will see yours truly a few times in the pictures there. :big_smile:

I do not know of any secret spots at Sante Fe, but I can give a few spots at Sarl and Irvine. Those are your best choices for trout due to them stocking weekly. Lots of time the L.A. times and other outdoor local columns do weekly reports too. If you really want to get into some good catfishing aside from the local park lakes I would wait until the spring and summer. Lots of gatherings and events will happen that is BOC generated and individual generated. Lots of knowledgeable anglers here and can put you on some good catfish.

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Gavin welcome to the BOC .Iam from northern cali now living in central cail no pay lake's up here just river's stream's resiviour's and lake's & canal's up here to fish as you please!

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Brian aka bluehunter is the man in your area :big_smile: He is a fishing machine and know's the so cal area !!!!!!!!

9. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    Welcome to the BOC. My ideas for you may be simple but they work. It does not matter where you live as long as there is some body of water to fish in.
    If you want the channels they and blues will both school and go to open water to feed. They will locate around schooling bait fish and hammer them.
    Flathead are structure oriented apex ambush predators, they feed from cover the majority of the time. they are more of hands on approach and ain't the most school forming Catfish in the family. he's the black sheep and he like Michael Myers in Halloween likes to do all his killing up close and personal lol.
    Big rocks thick structure top or bottm holds flatheads no one has seen yet.
    if it the spot you are gonna fish has log jams, standing trees in the water nasty snag city stuff then they just might be a big old flat stuck in between some logs you may wanna try to crank up to the top so you can introduce yourself. LOL

Blues like skipjack around here but it's gonna focus on the heavy populations of whatever baitfish may be in your area. Fresh live baitfish cut bait work well too. They can do this in fast current deep or shallow water and even the big ones will get in on the feeding frenzy the perform when attacking a school of bait fish.
    Bigger channel wil hit live bait cut bait especially fresh, and even frogs if they are any in your area.
    largest channel I ever saw was cought on a decent size frog. weighed close to 20lbs. (the fish, lol, not the frog lmao)!!
    I ask an old guy one time about the best spot and he said " I know where they all are!" IN THE WATER!!!
    Moving water, still water, cold water, hot water, logjams, river dams, hot damns, and grand slams, will occur any time you go fishing in some water!!!
    Okie dokie, Go fish, Have fun, wet down some bait and holler back!! :p

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Howdy Gavin,
    Want to welcome you to the Brotherhood from Fresno. Enjoy!

11. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Hey Gavin, I lived in Upland and Montclair for a couple years and I think the lake I went to a couple of times was Sandlewood Lake. I know we caught cats but I think the lake was known for Strippers. Sorry I cant even remember the hwy we took off of the 10 frwy. Good luck with what ever you find.

12. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    That's some great info... thanks!!! Someone told me they weren't stocking Sante Fe Dam anymore but it didn't sound right to me, so I was looking all night trying to find info on it and couldn't, so that bit you pasted for me was perfect. I made it out to Sante Fe Dam. Got a skunk (I was kinda expecting that), but I'll post up a report anyway.

I definitely want to take part in some BOC gatherings when the warmer weather starts rolling in. You guys are all so willing to share your knowledge and I really appreciate it. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to give out some good catfishing advice too :)

13. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    I'm originally from the Sacramento area... unfortunately I wasn't a big fisherman back then. I didn't know the amazing areas I was living right next to. I grew up right by the American River and loved catching crawdads (now i have my traps)... those are some great memories.

14. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    i don't blame ya scott! once this cold front gets the hell outta here and winter starts to pass i think we'll be ready to take corona lake by storm! lol and you'll be catching all the trout AND catfish then.

15. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    great info ... thank you for that. are there any tricks for finding structures when you can't see any signs from the surface? i was just at Sante Fe Dam and it's one of those "concrete shoreline" type lakes and there wasn't anything sticking out of the water that would indicate structures where catfish could be hiding. i saw some good shoreline on the other side of the lake but you may need a boat to get there.

i would absolutely LOVE to find some natural creeks, streams, or rivers that are great for catfishing. something about catching them in their natural habitat sounds so cool to me. i think i'd have to drive a ways to find that though. anyway, the man-made lakes are fun too. if i had a boat i think it would be much easier to find good catfishing spots.

16. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    That's a good idea. I should try that.

I'd love to go fishing out in Texas. My grandma was born and raised in Amarillo. Hopefully I can take a trip out there with her at some point and try out some Texas fishing!

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Sorry bout the slow bite. A lot of these local city lakes is hit and miss depended on the DFG stocking. The private lakes are the best choice for trouting with Irvine IMO being the better bet for a consistant bite. Sarl and Corona use holding nets a lot and something bout that does not sit right with me.:crazy:Based on what I heard from other forums this weekend is that Irvine did well on trout as there was a tournament this weekend.

As far as catfishing goes, you are in the right company. I am a year round cat chaser with winter time being my favorite for trophy blues and warmer months being the flatheads and channels. Too bad the best catfishing is a drive, but a lot of times its worth it.

18. gavin310

gavin310 New Member

State:
    Westchester, California
    Yeah I know how the city lakes go... I've been skunked lots of times at em. I think my next trip will be Irvine. I wanted to avoid it this weekend. It's crowded enough on a regular weekend day, I don't think I'd like it on a tourney weekend.

For my day trips I like to keep it within 40-60 miles, but i would love to plan a winter camping trip to a great catfishing spot that's a little further away. Can you camp at some of the good spots you know of? I keep trying to get my friends to go camping, but they won't go camping in the winter, so it would probably be a solo trip. But i like going alone... cause i can fish all i want :big_smile:

19. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    well if you can't see any signs of structure, you might have a few options by checking with other guys from your area who could point out some rocks or areas of submerged structure, and i believe if you have a boat there may be some electronics that will graph the bottom for you. Hope this helps.

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

The San Diego Lakes I frequent have camp grounds nearby but not at the lake facility. But they are within a close range like 5 miles. The River and canals areas definitely have camping in many areas. Eventhough its 4 to 5 hrs away. So many to name just let me know and I can point you in the right direction as far as river is concerned. Irvine also have camping but no overnight fishing. Maybe sometime in the future if you are free and our schedules meet you can catch a run with me to one of the lakes since you stay closeby. I am in the area off of Labrea and Centinella. La Cienaga is right behind me and the 405. I can be reached at 310-256-0332.

Brian.