Where to catch winter channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by miichael, Feb 15, 2007.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Planning a trip to my home lake to catch some channel catfish. This lake has a dam on both ends. Water coming in from another lake below dam is around 12ft deep water temp is around 41 degrees. Plan to fish up near the dam what water depth should i be looking for? Right below dam water is about 25ft then its 12ft "max depth" for about 300 yards then a bend that drops to 18-22ft deep. then its 12-14ft down to next bend that has water around 30ft deep and it gets deeper from there. There is a good size creek that feeds into the lake halfway between dam and the 30ft deep bend. Water depth at the creek is about 14ft deep in the main channel of the lake. Where should i be looking for those channels? will be using fresh live and cut gizzard shad. on down in the lake theres water 50-60ft deep. thanks for any info.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The deeper areas are good place to fish, but channels could be in the more shallow areas too. If its a warm and sunny day, the shallows may warm up, the bait fish move in, and the catfish follow.

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Heres a map of the lake im fishing.

http://www.dukepower.com/lakes/lakefacts/hickory.pdf

at far left of map where the mark E is where the water is 30ft. i plan to fish up in the river part above mark E maybe in a few bends where the water is a little deeper.

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So we could catch them right below the dam in 10-12ft maybe? weather is going to be low 21 that night and high 46 during the day mostly cloudy. we plan to fish from 9-5 all day.

Mostly Cloudy High
    46°F
    Wind: SW 14 mph
    Max. Humidity: 30%
    UV Index: 3 Moderate
    Sunrise: 7:11 AM ET

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am looking to catch some winter cats myself, I just got to find em.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if your deep plan fails go plop some baits rite in that creeks mouth. spring draws them out of wintering holes. after a rain is a definate plus!!!!

7. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It would be tough to find them without a boat, but maybe if you had a castnet you could throw out a few times near the deeper water and see if you can find some baitfish. I hear catfish usually school up in the cold in deeper water and maybe you'll be able to find them under a school of baitfish.