where to buy lead?

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by kyledbarnes, Jan 3, 2009.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    where can i get lead to make my sinkers and how much does it usually cost?

2. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    if you have any metal recyling places try them, another place to try would be any place that sells changes tires, sometimes you can get wheel weights for free. good luck:wink:

3. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    sorry about the double post guys, they weren't showing up on my computer! finally, i can see them:confused2:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you can find your own source of lead, at say a tire shop, your money ahead. In Oklahoma City we have several metal recyclers (scrap metal/junk yards) that sells the lead for .75 per pound. If you figure you can buy two 2 ounce bell sinkers at wal-marts for .79, you can easily see the savings. If you were just going to make sinkers for this year, it would be cheaper to purchase the sinker all ready molded. However, if your gonna make you sinkers for several years you would probably find it worthwhile to get a melting pot and a couple molds of the type you prefer. Just be safety conscious.

5. rahughes

rahughes New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ebay is another place they have all kinds of it. and you can get it already poured into ilb ignots.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can also check with plumbers. I got my last batch from a plumber who salvaged it from a job. Cost? I traded him some frozen skipjack for it.