where to buy lead? i dont know where to get my lead, can somone help?

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by kyledbarnes, Jan 2, 2009.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    where can i get lead from, i found a starter kit from do-it-molds and it looks like what im looking for, im wanting to do mainly egg sinkers, but i dont know where to get my lead, can somone help?

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    local scrap yards have it
    My local scrap yard buys lead for 42 cents a pound and sells for 92 cents a pound
    Wish i could catch the guys before they make it in the door with the lead and buy it for around .75, we would both be happy then

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I get used tire weights where I buy my tires. I have to melt it down and clean the clips and slag out of it though.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You might try automobile salvage yards. If they let you walk around in them, it is easy to pop the wheel weights off the wrecked/salvaged vehicles, and they probably would not charge too much.

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    plumbing supply houses. They have lots of it. Or ask a plumber if he has any that he tore out of a job.

6. Grinner

Grinner New Member

State:
    pa
    Like said above try salvage yards and plumbing shops. You can also check on ebay they have it for sale every once in a while.

7. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    make a deal with someone at a tire shop,fishing weights for wheel wieghts,, thats what i did. net result i have more lead than i will ever use......so many buddies come over and pour what they want....just a pain in the butt cleaning the wheel weights

8. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Why Bass Pro Shops of course They sell lead and tons of molds and two different style pots

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in

I can not believe you used that four letter word on our site. The utter shame of it. It just shocks my modesty. Where were you raised my friend? I am all a gogg at your use of four letter words. :sad2:

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Man if your buying lead from @$#@ pro shops,you are getting ripped off bigtime,local plumbers,scrapyards, and tire shops.
    I buy from the local srcap yard and get wheel weights for 40 cents a pound(which I don't buy) and lead pipe for 50 cents a pound,which is what I use a lot of,the pipe is purer lead and makes nicer looking sinkers although I'm sure only I care,cause the fish don't! I also have a friend that rounds me up a bucket full of wheel weights a couple times a year for free. Melt them down and scoop the clips and junk off the top then pour into workable size ingots.

11. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    check craigs list i always see it on there... it is nice to know people that you can get it from for free tho.. a guy at work gave me about 250 pounds of it about a month ago.. just make him the ones he wants i keep the rest. if someone gives me lead to make them weights i tell them up front i keep this much you get the rest i only take a small % of it

12. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Just bought 51 pounds of good clean lead off of ebay for $43 got it and my pot last week now I just gotta get some molds. Hopefully Santa comes through with some of those bass pro cards and I'll snag some at the after Christmas sale.