Where to buy goldfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by miichael, Sep 17, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where do you guys buy your goldfish at? Iv looked around here at like walmart and there expensive. All they got is little 1 inch long ones and there not big enough to do anything i wouldn't think? I have never used goldfish but was wanting to try some if i can find some bigger ones at decent price some where.

2. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    have u checked at ur local bait shop?they usually carry them and if not and u have a pay lake close to u,u can defenatly get them there thats were i usually get mine at.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live in NW Missouri and we purchase our goldfish at our local baitshops. Sometimes they get a little expensive. You are correct the little ones won't do you much good,what you need are 3,4,5 inch.Also they may be called coy carp if they are multicolored. I have a baitshop that I know sells coy carp and they want $9.00/dozen. Thank you for asking brother-----------pk powell:smile2:

4. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I found a goldfish farm that sells it's culls to fishermen[or fisherwomen] for $2.00 per lb. There's nothing wrong with them except they may not be the prettiest for aquariums. You might try searching for goldfish farms in your area. grizzly

5. Luscious Jackson

Luscious Jackson New Member

State:
    IL
    Aren't goldfish illegal in a lot of areas? As bait I mean. That's what I've always heard.

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I know they are illegal here in Nebraska.

And welcome to the BOC Dan!

7. Luscious Jackson

Luscious Jackson New Member

State:
    IL
    Thanks for the warm welcome! :smile2:

And with a bit of searching, I found an old BOC post stating that the ARE in fact legal in Illinois. But in searching Il's DNR site, it looks like our gov. passed a law ( http://www.dnr.state.il.us/pubaffairs/2005/August/law.htm ) stating that goldfish are lumped in with the invasive species and cannot be sold as bait. I dunno what to make of the whole situation. Anyone with connection to Illinois' DNR want to clarify the situation?

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know but I have alway's been told that it is illegal to us them in the state of Illinois. Asfor where to find goldfish in your state try bait shops,if they are legal they'll most likely have them if they don't try asking them or consevation if it is legal to us them. check first before you get yourself into some kind of trouble.

9. NightWarrior

NightWarrior New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Try Aquabid.com, you can buy almost anything you want for aquarium fish their... Craig

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    We Get Them For $10 A Pound At Bait Shops.

11. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I also buy them at baitshops for $10.00 a lb, very good bait usually work very well. good luck.:cool2: