Where to buy different shiners in Tennessee

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Aug 19, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Below is an attachment of photos of two species of shiners-the common shiner and golden shiner. I can catch plenty of common shiners in a creek that runs through my backyard. The only problem with the common shiners is they are difficult to keep alive during the heat of the late spring and early summer. During the early spring and fall, I don't have that problem especially when I use a 5 gallon minnow bucket with an aereator.

Does anyone know a bait shop in East Tennessee or maybe Middle Tennessee to buy the golden shiners? I hear they are much more hardy than a common creek shiner. I can buy a silvery shiner from bait shops around here, but they aren't too hardy either. Most of the bait shop owners say they're never offered golden shiners from bait dealers, but I'm sure they are native to the area, though I've never seen one. Sometimes I use goldfish, but out of curiosity I want to try the golden shiners. They're very common in Florida where bass fishermen use them up to a foot long with balloons for floaters. I'd like to try the goldens for catfish, bass, and stripers. Who knows, it may be illegal to use golden shiners for bait, but I've never seen it mentioned in the TWRA manual.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Flipper's Bait & Tackle in Gallatin sales regular shiners.. they have stayed alive well for me. Just have to buy an insulated bait bucket with a strong aearator. Only 2 requirements.:wink:

3. festus

festus New Member

A.J., I can get regular silver, or common shiners out of the creek in my backyard, but I needed to know about the golden shiners. Every part of the country has a different slang or name for them. Really, I think goldfish might be as good as the golden shiners, they're a completely different species, but look so much alike it probably doesn't matter.

4. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I don't know about the golden variety but the regular shiners just need good cold water and a lot of oxygen. The cold slows their metabolism and they use the oxygen better and at a slower rate. I have kept them alive for a couple of days doing this with no problem.

As far as the goldens if you can catch them give them a try and if they work you might be able to make a business out of it!

5. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Starkeys bait and tackle carries shiners. i40 and stewarts ferry pike. Not sure which kind. I would call first

6. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Big Charlie's (citgo gas station), between Smyrna and Murfreesboro on hwy 70S/41 sells golden shiners. I think it was 5 or 6 bucks a dozen.

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never did know that John, thanks for posting that.:wink:

8. festus

festus New Member

Thanks Jamie, I also found another place, Bell Springs Fisheries in Riceville, TN.

9. bigsoddy

bigsoddy New Member

State:
    tennessee
    festus, soddy custom tackle sells the golden shiner 4 bucks a dozen is the price if they have not gone up. they are located in east tn.,soddy-daisy area.

10. festus

festus New Member

Thanks BigSoddy, I have checked around Knoxville and made numerous phone calls and all I can get in my area is silver shiners. I can drive to Knoxville in half an hour, but Chattanooga, Riceville, and Nashville areas are long hauls! I don't guess golden shiners have caught on around here yet. Most bait shop owners have never heard of them

11. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Bigsoddy do they carry the really big shiners or do you know. I would ask my frind whose brother owns it, but never get to see him much anymore.