Where to buy bait near Atkins landing?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rocky357, Jan 12, 2009.

1. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Hey, was wondering where I could get some bait near Atkins Landing? I spoke with Butch at Atkins and he doesn't have any at the moment. His bait man said I could go to the dam and collect all I needed, but I heard you need a permit to gather bait inside some bouys placed there?

This is my first post btw. Thanks for all the great information! I love the site.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You have to have a (free) permit to enter inside the buoys in front of the dam to get bait. This year they have tightened down on the requirement that entry is for obtaining bait only; no fishing for anything else. The permit can be picked up at the Santee Cooper offices on US Hwy 52 bypass in Moncks Corner.
    Atkins is very 'iffy' about bait. You did right to call ahead. The next best option to buy some is at Black's, Hills, Canal Lakes, Harry's and they are all on the opposite side of the lake near Cross, maybe an extra 30 minutes or so drive by auto, or 15 +- miles or so by boat across the lake. Business has been down all winter, so it's probably best to call ahead to those places, also.

3. Does anybody know if Ned's bait in cross is closed just temporarily
    or permanent?

4. BrianD

BrianD New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Funny this "permit" conversation just came up here. I am headed down this weekend (staying at Short Stay) and just last night, one of the guys I am headed down with mentioned getting a permit to grab bait at the dam. I hadn't heard it before but apparently he was correct. Is bait just stacked up here all the time. The bait deep here. The reason I ask that is because I only have a 4' net and know from experience that the deeper they are, the bigger net I need. Will anybody else be doing the same thing down there fri morn or afternoon...Thanks ............Brian

5. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Welcome to the BOC :wink:

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Brian, the baitfish are usually pretty deep there, and the 4' net probably won't do a lot of good. A sabiki rig with a little red worm on the hook points will usually work pretty good. The water is 60-70 ft deep normally, just cast the sabiki rig out with a 1/4 oz. weight, and reel back slowly as it settles toward bottom. If you feel a hit, don't jerk it right away, and you will usually end up with 1-6 herring instead of just 1.
    Mark, I don't know if Ned's will be open again or not. Maybe when business picks up on the lakes. I don't think he has anyone to run the store right now, according to what I've been told.

7. BrianD

BrianD New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thank you Tommy, I figured such.......

8. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!!

9. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Are these permits available oline? Just in Santee proper or can I get one at any DNR office?

10. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    You have to go to Santee Cooper security in Moncks Corner to get the permit. They are free, but you have to have your boat registration and a picture ID. The boat owner must also be the one to get the permit. There are a new set of rules this year for them. Just got mine this weekend.

11. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    Rocky,

are you going to be down this weekend?

12. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Thaks to all of you for the welcome and advice. I think I'm going to try and bring some frozen shad down with me for the first run Sat morning. Then try to go to Blacks or Canal Lakes? and see if they have some around lunch. I spoke with someone at Canal lakes? yesterday and they said that they should have some shad delivered today, but I haven't had a chance to call them back.

I will be staying at Atkins landing and will be in a 18ft bayliner 175 with a black trolling motor on the front. Be sure and holler if you see me out on the water.

I'm pretty new to catfishing so I'm sure I won't be too busy!

13. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    Send me a email at catmandoinc@charter.net I will be down this weekend and will see what I can do for ya. We will be putting in at Atkins. We have a big aluminum 90 merc bow fishing platform, you CANT miss it.
    Jim

14. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Jim,
    Thanks for the help. I tried to respond to your pm but don't have enough posts yet. I will send you an email.