Where to begin?...

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kyboytimbo, Jul 20, 2008.

1. kyboytimbo

kyboytimbo New Member

State:
    Kentucky,Louisville
    hey guys im new to the BOC family, any info would be great!
    I'm currently in the market for some new rods. The reel's im using are two abu 6000's (working on getting 7000's as we speak) but id rather go ahead an get worth while rods. The two rods im more or less leaning towards are quantom big cats or jim moyer the boss's. Most of my fishing is spent on the ohio searching for the biggest blues possible:0a1: Alot of fishing is on a boat, sometimes on the bank. I have two 10' poles now am I'm wanting 7 footers. I'm mainly curious about what type of action i need for this type of fishing. Any other opinions in this price range would be appreciated as well! Thanks for any help possible guys!

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    catfish safari's rods are top shelf, close to the jim moyer rod price wise and their coustomer service is two thumbs up. if youre wanting somthing you can get from the store the 8' big water boat ugly stik is definatly for the big dudes your 6000s would look tiny till you get the 7000s. the 7' bwb rods are different than the 8s they act more like the us tigers witch are also good but not the action i perfer. you mentioned "action" so my opinion, if you are a circle hook user id say go for one like the first two i mentioned those rods flex more taking some of the shock away from the freight train that just took your bait. if you use j hooks and enjoy ripping lips off you might like the tiger more :confused2: youll know what you like when you find it

3. Louisiana Redneck

Louisiana Redneck New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree. The ugly stick is rugged and easy to repair when its not. ::confused2:

4. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    I CAN MAKE ANY ROD YOU WOULD LIKE AND I GUARANTEE MY WORK ALSO HAVE PRODUCTION RODS THAT ARE TOUGH AS NAILS CHECK OUT MY SITE
    WWW.BLACKANDBLUETACKLE.COM WATCH THE VIDEOS THEY WILL SHOW STRENGTH AND BEAUTY

5. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I would have to agree with some of the above post. I have a few Ugly Stik rods and they are a great all around catfish rod. Good pice as well. They will handle just about anything you hook up to.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Top shelf equipment.

7. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    the only rod i can speak for is the uglystik catfis model and the bill dance combo from bass pro they both seen to do well for me,with the bill dance combo i havn't had any problems throwing a 14 oz weight,the only thing i dont like is can't get the drag tight enough to break the 80# spider wire but not so sure that my abu 6500 c3 will hold either?the rod has a very good backbone IMO i have horsed on this thing hard and it has held up so for the $50-$60 i think it's a damn good deal.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats why I use 20 lb test on the main line........and 20 lb hook leader.......and 12 lb sinker leader for flatheads where a long cast is not needed usually. I cant break the heavier lines either and it is hard on your gear.The rods can handle it if the drag is set right. :big_smile:

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    r u seriously tring to break 80# with your reel:crazy: not a good idea a short piece of dowl rod r broom handel is best. might be buying another combo doing that.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Usually I will wrap the line around my rod 3-4 times between the reel and first guide, holding onto the loop to keep it from coming undone. You should be able to pull the rod strait back to break it off with very little strain on the reel and without your line on the spool getting undercut.