where to begin?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by presidentwoody, Jun 10, 2009.

1. presidentwoody

presidentwoody New Member

State:
    ks
    My 2 boys and 2 nephews and I have been enjoying some summer fishing. problem is we can only catch sunfish. not bad for younger kids but,my older nephew and I could use a bit more action. I would like to do some river bank fishing. can anyone explain a basic river bank rig setup? I may have seen something here but sometimes there is too much info to sort through. Thanks, oh and as soon as we catch something good enough for a pic i will put up an avatar:smile2:

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i'll take all them sunfish if ya can keep em alive !!:roll_eyes:

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC Woody. Stick around here and you can learn alot.

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    are you lookin for what kind of rod & reel or how to set it up ??

5. presidentwoody

State:
    ks
    we are stuck with rod and reel for now. only thing we can change is setups.

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    depends on current. adjust yer weight to the current. i use no rolls on my main line with a 12 in leader. others use a sinker slide, 3 way set ups etc.

7. presidentwoody

State:
    ks
    thanks Jason, that is helpful enough we have a starting point and can play around with different things.

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    what river ya plan on fishin ??

9. presidentwoody

State:
    ks
    depends on which kids i take and how many. plus we are still kinda figuring it out. live near wichita so for now we are limiting it to places near here. can't get them too far from home at ages 5 and 8 you know. at least not for day trips.

10. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    welcome to the boc woody, im new to this too, There is A lot of info on this, everyone at the boc helped me in the right direction, im fishing the missouri river i went to Bass pro and bought a 10 foot berkley glowstick and then went to walmart and bought a medium seawater reel <shakespear tidewater 30tw> and put on a "backing" of 30lb mono then put on 150yards of 65lb power pro braid, only gotten my line wet once and that was to just get my briad on right, When i FIRST started at the river i was using a 7'6 spinner rod/reel <---- wont work too much current and cant handle a 5 to 8 oz no roll sinker or bank sinker all i was doing was getting snagged up. IM excited to use my glowsitck but with all this rain not in the mood to mess up my braid or rod/reel with crap floating down the river so it will be a week or so. Thats what i have but it might not be right for you. BEFORE you buy something i would really do a lot of research on what you are looking to do and the places you want to do this. I have spent more money than needed because i didnt research/know what i was doing. Like i said im new but i have talked to alot of people here at the boc Read for hours and hours on end on how people do things. Also THANK YOU EVERYONE lol and GL :0a23:
    p.s dont buy a basspro Catmaxx most people here will agree with that, read and had msgs sent to me about how the eyes come off. if you go to bp look at both rod and how the eyes are wrapped i think you will end up walking away with that glowstick :)

11. presidentwoody

State:
    ks
    thats helpful also Mike thanks. Don't think we are going that route just yet. by the time we get geared up we won't have gas money.:smile2: really just looking to get these young ones on something bigger than half pound channels, and that seems to be all the community ponds are good for.

12. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    lol yea should of said im going after the big cats, this 7'6 rod and reel i got from walmart and would be GREAT for what u are going to do paid 30 some odd bucks for it and came with a lil tackle box its called R2f <ready to fish> comes in spinner model and pushbutton. might want to look into that and buy some doughbait for the treble hooks ive caught a few channels with it one at the river and one down at a private pond up in richmond missouri.

13. presidentwoody

State:
    ks
    ya we are "tackled up" for channels. love catching them. the younger kids like anything but oldest nephew is looking to bring some home to eat. those babies we get in town ponds just aren't cutting it.

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC woody.

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Try Valley Center Park jus north of the police station. There are some good size channels in there. My biggest was 12#. They love hotdogs, ive heard thats what they feed them where ever they are grown. So they usually tear them up. I fished evenings, so im not sure about the daytime, but anyways if you get tired fishing, you can allways go to the playground with the kids.

16. presidentwoody

State:
    ks
    good call Brent, and thanks. we tried there one night and got one pole so tangled i needed daylight to fix, 2 boys (8 yr olds) wanted to jog the path and "not" flirt with little girls, the other one gave up fishing after losing bait so the park thing not a bad idea. wasn't sure there was anything bigger in there or not. especially if we can use hotdogs. they can bait they're own, lol.:big_smile:

17. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Beginning catfish tackle can be the trusty Zebco 33 setup but you will feel
    outgunned above about five pounds. Whisker Stickers work good as hooks
    at this level and they were made double barbed to accommondate hotdog
    slices as bait. Try the trick of slicing your cheapest turkey dogs into 1/2 in.
    bits, putting them in a plastic ZipLok and dousing them with garlic powder.
    Let 'em sit for a couple of days in the refrigerator then they are prime to
    try on eater channels. Hook them thru the side, not thru the center and
    bring the barbs and point thru the slice. Don't be afraid to use scent sprays
    to enhance your dog slices.Gulp spray hasworked well for me in the past,
    either nitecrawler or crawdad scent but it runs a bit expensive. Another
    bait you should try is chicken or turkey livers. Wrap them in gauze to hold
    them together and hook through the gauze then back thru again. Cut up
    a dead bluegill and use it all. You may have fewer bites on the tail section,
    but it's a good bait no matter how you slice it!

18. presidentwoody

State:
    ks
    Brent thanks we tried that spot early this eve. but had to return home sooner than expexted. Mike thanks also havent thought of gauze for holding bait together. Gotta start fishing MacGyver style huh? sounds good we will try all of those suggestions.

19. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You can also try a bag of uncooked frozen shrimp. The kids shouldnt mind hooking those on :wink:. They work well for eater size.