Where the heck is the river level going???

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I sure don't remember the river getting anywhere near as low last year as it is predicted to in the next week!:crazy:

What a screwy year, record flooding for most of the year, now somebody pulled the plug and there is no end in sight?

Predicted next week:

• Winfield gage: 17.5
    • Alton gage: 7 ft:eek:oooh:
    • St. Louis gage: 8.4 ft:eek:oooh:
    Ramps were flooded all year.....now I think they are all gonna be out of the water soon. :crazy:

2. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Go ahead and tell the rest of the story of trying to get back to th ramp in the dark alone in 12 inches of water. After an awesome bite I must add.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam

Skipper don't give up so easy...it's raining again cats and dogs here shell be coming back up..get the dust off those "16oz" sinkers & put them on stand by alert!!!!:wink::tounge_out::smile2:

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Got me some 20 ouncers now Sam!:smile2::smile2::smile2: And I used them yesterday until I ran out then I went to 16's.

Gonna have to get the 24 and 28 oz molds next, maybe a 32. There are times when you need them you know!:wink:

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    The ever changing rivers… bring it on… Hey Skippie, these changes are good, plus the “normal level” below Winfield and Clarksville which both keep each in sink is “usually” around 15.5 feet… Still a ways to go yet as well as the pool sides getting deeper (cough, cough, foley)… With the water level dropping fast like this I will look for some hugh boil activity where the lower water level is reshading or scouring a sand bar… cast out with a heavy duty bobber or something and retrieve it in a way across currant to disturb the surface… nine times out of ten shad will jump in the disturbed water, drift down through it, the cats you paint will be active feeders… Those (big) boils only occur under these conditions… Bring a crappie jig and check out below any dikes that showing water just barely over them… you’ll find white bass or skipeye %%% … I mean skipjack, sorry for the slip… right now till the level gets below 9 is the time to chase the crappie back behind maple island. Any time on the water is awesome and right now it is all changing back to what I call a normal scenerio.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I couldn't remember what Winfield ran last summer but I guess that sounds correct. Alton gage and St. Louis seem like they are hitting rock bottom though.

Maybe I should keep a notebook.:wink:

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Skip You better listen to ole wildman MJ I think he's on it.....but shoot fellas aint this year something? I know its just out of control and winter time coming has me worried of what is to come.....last one was a toughey!Fishing sure has shaped up I went from gettin skunked to a freezor full in no time....now if I could just get a pb this year(LOL)

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Kenny you are correct on that. The bite has improved considerably. It does that every August though for that matter.:wink: Water shrinking sends them into more predictable places.