Where the heck do I start??

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by KansasKatter, Oct 29, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have an '84 Mercury 25hp tiller on my boat. It was running perfectly the first two times I took it out, not so much as a sputter! Then I started screwing with it, when I noticed the rust in the fuel filter from the old metal tank. So I switched to a plastic tank, changed the fuel filter, and new fuel line.

Then all of a sudden the thing will hardly run. It will start and idle, then when you try to go it just bogs down and dies, sometimes it will take off, but after about 10 seconds it bogs down and dies. I replaces all the fuel lines, de-carbed with deep creep, and mixed new fuel up with sea foam in it.

Last night it would run, as long as you kept it choked and almost full throttle, otherwise it would bog and die.

Where do I start? Carb? Fuel pump? I am about ready to just dump the darn thing overboard!:sad2:

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    sounds like the high speed jets are plugged up,a good carb cleaning would probably fix it,if the carbs havnt ever been rebuilt now would be a good time to do it,good luck,hope this helps,also check for air leaks in the fuel system

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, sounds like what happened to us. Bought a boat and motor that I believe were from 1985, and after a few times out our motor started doing the same thing yours is doing now. We had to take it to an expert we know and it has caught us over $1000 to get it fixed.:angry:

I hope it's not very serious, it's really aggrevating having a broken motor.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The trouble started when you noticed the rust in the fuel line. You changed the filter and gas tank but, Now this is where you went wrong, You should have taken the fuel line loose at the carb and flushed the line out with new fuel before attemting to start.

Now before you get to the carb is this a new plastic tank if it is check the end of the pick up tube and look and see if it is open enough to pull the right amount of fuel in and if it is then take the carb off and rebuild it. I know it is tempting to reuse the old gaskets but you will just have to do it again if you don't replace them.
    Do not use sealer of any kind on those carbs. and ck to make sure the fuel pump is clean also but I would susspect you disturbed some rust and it got to the needle and seat and stopped the jets up and hense starving for fuel. A bad situation if you try to run like that.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't guess I should ask if you new fuel tank is vented. Could be a different setup than what you had.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That would have been my suggestion... Sounds like fuel starvation to me.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I suppose I am entiled to miss something every once in awhile.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Yeah it is a vented tank, I was just troubled by the fact it was running perfect with the old rusty tank, then I go messing with it, and all heck has broken loose.

I will try the carb first, how big a job is that? I have the manual for the motor, but have not really looked at it yet, to busy trying to get moved.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The carbs are not that big of an issue, I'm sure that you already knowto pay PARTICULAR attention as to how everything was in order during dissassembly.

As Bubba stated, NO SEALER, of any sort to be used !! & avoid the urge to tighten the rap out of everything, with new gaskets a snug fit will eal everything correctly.

HTH, Elliot