Where the Heck are the Worms!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by SubnetZero, Aug 10, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    It has rained here all day, Usually worms are everywhere. All over the drive, yard, flower beds, etc having a big old "Rain party" ....

Been looking em for em all day.. Even went got the shovel and dug a bit.. seen lots of worm holes, and 1 tiny worm....Can't figure out where they all at ....

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I'ts been tough here too , so dry the worms are very deep . It's going to take alot of rain to flood them out to the top.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Been raining here last few days.. I thought maybe they were deep so I grabbed a spade and started digging.. When a little china man popped up and said he aint seen any, I figured they werent around :embarassed:.. Who knows.. Like I say, usually when it rains they are everywhere...Guess I'll just have to pick a couple dozen up at the bait shop .....

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    It's Drier Than A Popcorn Fart Here:sad2: , Almost Drought Conditions. If You Want Worms You Gotta Go To The Bait Store. The fish Haven't Been Hitting Them Too Well Here & Because It's So Hot They Are Hard To Keep Alive. I've Just Been Using Other Baits:confused2:

5. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    its rained evey single night for 4 days now and all i can find is little ones about 1-2in.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    ya. Im wanting them to catch bluegill and warmouths for some Flathead hunting im going to do Sat nite... Ill just head up to the bait shop here in a bit...From everyones posts, Looks like the worms are hidding everywhere :roll_eyes:

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    finally got a good spot here to get my worms...right next to the swimming pool...kids splash in it all day and at night i go worm hunting

8. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    If you take a cooler with you, they are not hard to keep alive at all. I have never had a problem, even in the hottest of weather, keeping my worms/nightcrawlers alive. Since, I always keep them in an insulated picnic bag or cooler that has a lot of ice in it. I have been doing this since the 70's. And, since I used "conditioned" crawlers to begin with, it was imperative that I keep them nice and cool. Since, they would lose their "conditioning" pretty quickly when exposed to heat. So, just keep 'em on ice and they will do fine. Even though they will never measure up to a "conditioned" Super Crawler.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Yes, You Are Correct, I Just Get Tired Of Opening & Shutting The Cooler. I left The Lid Off The Worm Box One Day, They Spilled Over Into The Ice, It Killed A Few & Made A Heck Of A Mess:embarassed:

10. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN

Yes, if they come in direct contact with the ice it will usually kill them, if they are in contact with it for a good period of time. Got to keep the lid tight on the "worm container".

One thing I have done is, "Sometimes (the day or night before I go fishing) I make up a bucket of ice water and drop the crawlers into that and then take it to the lake/river with me the next day. It is a quick conditioning process that works pretty well. But, you still have to keep that water cold."

11. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lmao. sister inlaw says you got to put a stick in the groound and rub it with another stick and they will come to the top.:eek:oooh:

12. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    We've had some pretty good showers of rain around here the past week and so I figured I'd transplant a snowball bush that wasn't doing to well where I originally planted it. I went and dug a new hole and got down to about 3 inches and the ground was dry. Even hard to dig, but managed to get the new hole dug for the shrub. No doubt the worms are a whole lot deeper than I dug just for some moisture content.

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    It is not only the moister content that keeps them deep, it is the temperature of soil. They need much cooler temps so as long as the ground temp is high, they will stay very deep. Once fall gets here, they will begin migrating up for a little while.

14. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    dont spend to mutch fishing time looking for them,just buy some.lol good luck

15. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

Well I live in Minnesota and the nightcrawlers are always few and far between late into the summer and into the fall. Early this summer there was a good rain hear and I got a lot then, I got almost 100 dozen, used every last one within a month.

Take Care Everyone!

Sincerly, Kevin

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I always take a seperate "mini" cooler just for bait, so as not to get worm or liver bait all over the "good ice", or our food and drinks.

17. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Check this out, when I was a kid in school I use to dig worms for weekend mony, and this is what I was told by the worm farmer. Take ya some corn meal and in the dirt you broke up dump some in there an mix it up good then wet it down for a couple of days to get the ground moist, and the worms will come to feed. Try that, it should work for ya.

18. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    We do the same, one for our drinks and one for our bait and fish.
    Once we get our bait in, there's not much room left for the fish, but it hasn't been a problem letely.:big_smile:

Ken