Where should I live

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by jcat, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jcat

jcat New Member

State:
    IL
    Planing to retire in tn in a couple of years. Love to fish for stripers and cats. How about recommendations as to where I should locate. Thanks John:confused2:

2. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I would reccomend lenoir city tennessee. you would have a small town setting within 10 minutes of knoxville. Melton hill dam on the clinchriver, telico dam and fort loudon dam on the tennessee within 10 miles of each other and 45 miles from the smokies. plenty of shopping and a hospital in town. You can live on top of a mountain or on plenty of flat bottom land. check it out.

3. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    man what i would give to live in the mountains of tenn. it beautiful there. when i retire, if theres still retirement when the time comes thats where i wanna go.

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Great advice if you are a CPR guy. Some of the best cats and stripers anywhere are in that area. Sad thing is though there are no eat advisories on cats and stripers in most of these waters mentioned.
    Chattanooga area has some of the best catfish waters in the world. No consumption advisories on Chickamauga Lake. There are a few stripers there but not like the Lakes mentioned above.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    The no consumption advisory is fact. I have eaton them all my life. It appears heart desease is going to get me before the Pcb's do though. I eat only the filet off each side of the tail.

6. sammy joe

sammy joe New Member

State:
    ark
    wish i was planning to retire soon havent even thought of relocating though

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sammy hang in there. Your day will come. Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois:0a23::0a25::0a25:

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i would say savanah tn

9. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Lot's of good water here in TN. I'm bi est about the Tennessee & Cumberland river Chain around Nashville here.

10. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    cumberland city u can fish till u drop.:cool2:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If I could convince my wife, we would retire somewhere between cumberland city and Paducah. so much great water to fish in that area that your most difficult decision would be WHERE to go!

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Check out Henry and Stewart Counties in TN. Good fishing (Cumberland river, Lake Barkley, TN. river, KY. Lake) pretty country and close enough to the KY. boarder that you can cross over to buy groceries. TN. has lower property taxes and no income tax but does have sales tax on everything. KY. has no sales tax on food or meds. and a lower sales tax on everything else.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Sounds like a great strategy to me

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I grew up in Gallatin, Tn.....32 miles north of Nashville and lots of great stiper fishing and catfishing around the Gallatin Steamplant. It is absolutely some of the best fishing on Old Hickory lake and beautiful country!!!!! :wink:

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Iam vary happy in Clifton.Not far from pickwick and there 8 places to put in your boat with in 5 miles from my house.Fishing is great!
    smokey

16. Puddin Head

Puddin Head New Member

State:
    Grenada Lake, Ms
    John, I have a cabin at Pickwick Lake, Tn, and the Tn. river below the dam has some great fishing for strippers, sauger, catfish.
    It's also a affordable place to live. We really love it.
    Good Luck

Puddin Head

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's also very good fishing for crappie and smallmouth bass. Lots of hills, but no mountains. Also, it's within easy driving distance of some fabulous catfishing on the Mississippi River. Small town/country living, with Memphis about an hour away, for when you just have to go to the big city for something.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Pickwick is rated in the top 10 retirement places. We have it all. Nice climate. Catfish and striper's. Now we do not have as big of stripers as some of the other places. But you can catch them averaging 10 lbs until you get tired of it. And that is about every day. From spring until Late fall winter.
    Fishing for Stripers at Pickwick dam. Is hot and fast. WE have so much to fish for. That something is always biting. Home of the Catfish derby and you have Pickwick lake. Lots of catfish and stripers. One of the top rated Sauger fishing spots there is. We fish year around here. Stripers on top water in the Am. And fishing for them deeper the rest of the day.
    Tn has so many great spots, That its a hard choice, But then again why pick only one spot to fish. There's so many great spots within an hour of a lot of Tn. And within 2 hours even more.
    But if your like me. And would rather fish close to home. Theres no where like West Tn And Pickwick.
    Good luck on finding a spot to stay in Tn.
    Pete