where should i go?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by drifter000, Apr 24, 2008.

1. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am new to cat fishing. i live in louisville and would like to bank fish the ohio for any kind of cat. anyone have any suggestions on a close location to louisville? what kind of bait should i use? anything would be helpfull.

2. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Welcome Rob, I grew up in Louisville. What part of Lou. do you want to fish?

3. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    wherever i can catch some cats. i do a lot of bass fishing, but last week i cought an 8 1/2 lb blue cat in the ohio river. that was at otter creek park, but id like to fish closer to home. i dont have a boat so it has to be a bank spot. what is the best bait to use?

4. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    The best bait would be shad or blue gill. If you can get you a cast net and practice throwing it at home untill you get it to open, then you can throw it from the bank and get bait from the creeks and river. You can cut them or fish them whole.

5. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i will definitely try that. never used a cast net, but ill figure it out. i appreciate the help.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Look forward to reading your post.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Rob welcome to the BOC, and I have some family that lives there in Louisville that fishes the Ohio, you need to get you a good throw net, and catch you some shad, and cut the shad into fillets and use strips of fillet at a time you should do good, some other good cat baits that I would recoment would be, blue gills, chicken livers, shrimp, night crawlers stuff like that just about any smelly bait cats love, they go after fish by smell, good luck keep us posted on how you do, hope you catch some good cats.

8. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i really appreciate all the tips and i hope i can have a success story this weekend to tell you all about. should i fish open water or look for cover? not real sure about that

9. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Hey Rob...welcome to the BOC. Do you know where West Point is??? Go down Dixie Hwy or 31 W going towards Ft. Knox where the Salt River runs into the Ohio River. Once the river goes down a little more, there are plenty of places to fish on the bank here. You can PM me and I will give you more directions if interested. Probably around 45 minutes drive depending where you live in Louisville.
    I bought a cast net last year and has been well worth the money I spent on it, around $34.00. Look online for throwing a cast net, and there are plenty of info and videos on the technique. You just have to practice without getting up tight about it.
    Good luck catching those cats!!
    Linda

10. dkshep502

dkshep502 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hi Rob from Shelbyville ky I work in south end of lou. by the airport. A cast net is the way to go try walmart mine came with a dvd to show how to use it. I would get with river rat 1214 ( think thats her online name) she knows westpoint well and its not far from lou. Well good luck and check out EVERYTHING on this sight all the info you need is here just keep looking.

Don