where oh where are the skipjack ?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by dinger66, Dec 2, 2009.

1. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    ok ready to drive where can i find enough to make the drive for ?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck..This is not the time of year to have to go catch skippies..Not saying it can't be done but boy you'll have to work really hard to locate them..Best bet right now is around the steamplants @ that warm water discharge,but I've been hearing that the plants around here are not producing any skips..

3. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Yeah I fished a w.w discharge sat and only had one skip and he got off at the boat..:roll_eyes:

4. festus

festus New Member

They've moved away from the area I fish, too. I talked to a striper fisherman yesterday and he says they've been gone a while. Since Kingston and Bull Run steam plants are shut down for upgrades, I have no idea where to look for them.

5. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    They should be in the freezer by now....Right?....can't catch them without bait!

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    ha ha mike but you are right , there havent been many this year

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Should be able to find the skipjack back in action around first couple weeks of march. They'll be doin those shallow pre-spawn runs.:wink:

8. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    first time i havent been able to catch them about anytime i wanted they have just gone away.

9. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Read an article about skipjack somewhere farther north, that suggested that the skipjack herring is getting overfished and there numbers are dwindling. They were pondering whether or not to put some sort of restrictions or limits on the taking of them. Makes you wonder about whether or not that's happening other places. I know early in the season there were a lot of them, but it didn't seem like they lasted very long.

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wouldn't doubt that a single bit. The more folks here how good of catfish bait they are the more they will be caught and used.

11. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    I believe that they might be suffering from over fishing. This spring I watched 2 guys load up 3 freezers full that they had in the back of thier truck. I wouldn't be afraid to say that they had more than 2000 skipjack in that truck, I don't know about everyone else here but it would be near impossible to need that many skipjack to fish with for just a couple guys.

I hear pretty frequently about people selling skipjack to bait stores, if this is going on and guys are catching skipjack just to sell for bait then yes, there needs to be some kind of limit on how many one person can keep, or some day thier won't be any more skipjack to fish for.

Just look at the passenger pigeon from back in the day, they flew in large groups (Millions) and were shot and sold until extinction.......just food for thought. It could happen.:sad2:

12. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    can you draw them to a light at night?

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't buy into the skipjack shortage thing..I don't know about where other people are but here they are pretty much a seasonal fish..You catch em in the spring and end of summer then a few around the steam plants during the winter..I just think people believe they should be able to go anytime they want to catch skippies and thats just not the case..If theres such a shortage then how did that guy catch over 2000??I just don't believe theres overfishing of skippies..They sure are plentiful here you just gotta go at the right time..

14. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im not saying I do think there is overfishing of the skippy but I will tell ya That you live in the skippy capital of the world. I know several folks that travel from here (Ohio) and head to your famous steamplant and head home with enough jacks to last all year. That aint happenin around here my friend. By the way, the buddy that does this fishes his heart out for skippies in my area and so do I. Ive had dozens of failed trips this year. Havent caught any since last year around christmas and I guarentee I have over 20 trips the dams. Im kinda with you though, seems like when I finally do findem theres a hell of a bunch there but there just so scattered here on the ohio.:eek:oooh:

15. festus

festus New Member

I saw on one of these boards a few days ago that frozen skipjack were selling for $2.50 apiece. Of course I'm not gonna pay anything like that. $2.50 x 2000 = $5000.

16. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bought 2 of them at the local Gander Mountain, for $7.50 a piece, which was way high. :embarassed: I got on the internet and saw them for as high as $9.00 a piece without shipping. Must be a big market for them to get that kind of money for them. I guess if you have to travel very far to catch them, the fuel savings makes them not that high. Just wouldn't pay that for them when other bait such as shad and bluegill are available.

17. festus

festus New Member

I just got off the phone with a friend and he says skippies are going for $6.00/lb. in Knoxville, TN. Lately I've been using shad anywhere from 2-1/2" to about 7". They're still plentiful and I just use a small mesh 7' hoop net that telescopes to 14'.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  18. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    skips can get reall high but 9.00 is a lot of money

19. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Heck, I wonder if the trip down from St. Louis would be worth it, with so many people looking to profit from selling them. Most likely, the steamplant at Cumberland is over fished weekly to keep up with demand. :eek:oooh:

20. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    This is a sad thing to hear, if people are willing to pay those kind of prices, then the days of skipjack are numbered. People trying to get rich will go to the places that skipjack gather and fish them until there are no more. You may say that there is no way that that can happen with all the skipjack that gather at the dams, but look back in history and look up the passenger pigeon. They gathered in large flocks and people shot them to sell and they are now extinct because of it. I hope it never gets that bad, but it is proof that it could very well happen!!!!!!!!:sad2: