Where, not how to use a castnet

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by loanwizard, Aug 8, 2008.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Someone asked me this and I thought it was an excellent opportunity to share techniques and ideas as every body of water is different.

Yes, I use a cast net. In fact, other than night crawlers I cannot tell you the last time I bought bait. I absolutely LOVE my castnet! She looks great in blue fishnet.... sorry....

Technically, in my waters you never know whether there is bait there or not because it is murky. That said, I frequent spots that I have always gotten bait at before. I know certain spots produce. In my area, folks aren't too tight lipped about bait spots, at least not like honey holes.

Now, in a strange waterway, where do you find the bait?
    1st, ask a local.
    2nd, look for fast water- Spillways are probably the number one source of bait that I know of. Riffles above a hole can be good as well.
    3rd, ask a local.
    4th, look for a shallow spot with structure nearby. Be very careful where you throw because castnets love structure, in fact she and her purty lil fishnet stockings will leave your a$$ for a nice lookin piece of structure and leave you there cussin helplessly as he tears her stuff up!

I have thrown for hours with very few results, and I have filled the net so full I could hardly lif them up to empty it.
    This spring, having trouble, I threw toward cover and caught a 5lb AND a 3lb bass.

Bottom line is get yourself a net, it is neat and very effective.

Please add your thoughts as well for I am certain I haven't covered it all.

Shawn

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If I can't find the baitfish in my usual spots I like to take out the spotlight "at night" and just shine it all over the water until you see them jumping like crazy, then throw it in that general location and the rest is history

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I primarily fish LARGE lakes..

If you have a fish finder, they will show up as a huge suspended "cloud".

Bridge pillers are always an excellent spot to catch bait fish.

Out a bit from Rip Rap

In the steamy days of summer, I tend to find em more in the backs of coves for some reason..

Or Try the white bass method and look for the "sea gulls" swarming (they are feeding on bait balls :wink: ) ....

If you don't let the net hit the bottom near snaggy/shallow waters you'll catch less bait per throw, but your net won't get snagged as much

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    lighted boat docks ,ramps is another spot to try.

5. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I LOVE THROWING A CAST NET IT JUST SHOWS WHATS REALLY DOWN THERE. CAST NET VICTIMS: SHAD, CARP UP TO 15LBS, BLUEGILL, CRAPPIE, BASS TO 3LBS, CHANNELS TO 6LBS, GOLDEN SHINERS, CHUBS, SUCKERS, BABY FLATHEADS, SHEEPHEAD, QUILLBACK, GAR, PERCH, BUFFALO, MADTOMS, I KNOW THERE ARE OTHERS BUT I CANT THINK OF THEM. YES, ALL GAMEFISH GET RELEASED.

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I like going across the street and hitting the docks at the marina at night, usually get enough big gizzard shad to fish with in about half n hour.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Dare I say it?

Sewage outfalls.

8. theoldman_50

theoldman_50 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :smile2:good ill try it

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A pretty good spot, often overlooked, for catching bream is the launching ramp. Not during a rush, of course, but if the ramp is only being used every 20-30 minutes, there's plenty of time between to get some bait. If you're going to use your net, it sometimes helps to crush half a cracker, or something like that and throw it out for chum. Some of the crumbs will float, and when you see fish eating them, you can cast your net. The ramp is also a fairly good spot to catch some bait on rod & reel. Be sure to check the regs in your state first!