where might the flathead catfish be right now?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kat in the hat, Sep 13, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish as often as possible. At least once a week. Sometimes more. But at the end of the month, me and a friend do it up and fish seriously. We've had alot of luck this summer on the Missouri river and Mark Twain lake in north eastern Missouri. The problem is we try to target flatheads and have caught a few, but not as many or as big as we would like. Last month when we went we used nothing but live perch way up in the north fork. Lots of logs and rocks and such for cover, but not one flattie would bite. Caught a whole truck load of huge blues, so I wasn't dissapointed, but I couldn't believe the blues were eating those perch, and no flats. Just wondering what's going on with the flats this time of year. They should be fattening up for winter shouldn't they. Any advise would be a big help. Is anyone familliar with that lake?

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    not sure about the lake but a couple of other people have also claimed that the flatty bite has not been that good this year. i caught a few early but have not caught one since early july.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    may be its not any help due to location but in the ohio river iv been catching them flatties in 30' or deeper on ledges and rock piles , would like to trade with you iv only seen two blues since spring

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I thought deeper might be better too, but last time we ran trotlines and one was in 20' of water and a few nice cats died due to no oxygen. The water was about 90 deg. But that was up in one of the old river channels. Maybe in the main body of the lake the water isn't deoxygenated deeper.? I think next time I will concentrate on rod 'n' reelin' anyway, and maybe some set lines and noodle jugs. It just sucks because tons of huge flats are pulled out of that lake, but I couldn't buy a bite from one. I'm a butcher in a grocery store, and a lady in the deli caught a 48.5 pounder and she doesn't even like fish. Lots of 50 to 70 pounders in there. I guess someday I will find them.

5. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    only got out a couple times for flats this summer.

both times, we found the fish in wood cover in or right next to deeper water.

Saturday night, I caught a nice smaller one (around 8#) after I unknowingly cast just over a limb hanging over the snag. So the fish was right in the heavy stuff. Had to take the boat in to get him out!

Was using blugills, fished just a few hours between 9 and 11pm.

Shawn

6. buckshot

buckshot New Member

State:
    kansas
    im not familiar with that lake but about the only place that i have been catching the big flathead is in deep holes and where there is a lot of cover such as big rocks and brush.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I rate the health of the catfish at Mark Twain as excellent. For lake fishing it's #1 for me but only fish it in the spring and fall. Have to enjoy the crappie fishing along with catfishing. The water is cooling fast, down and dropping slowly with very little flow into the lake. To target flatheads right now stay close to or in the main lake, fishing structure along the old river channel where it comes close to the bank using small the medium size gills or shad. Better hurry, when the water temp. drops to around 50 and below that's it for the season. Hope this helps

8. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have caught a couple in this last week here in moderately deep water 6-15 feet late in the night around 12-1 o'clock at night. Nothing real big but not bad. The water is getting cool and the flats ought to be out hunting like crazy before winter and those near freezing water temps hit. THANK GOD THE GAR HAVE QUIT MOVING ON THE NEOSHO!