Where is the Shad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by TOPS, Mar 26, 2007.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have plenty of skips but would like to take some shad on some of my fishing trips. I am having a hard time finding them. When will they start running here in Arkansas? All hep needed!

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Lawrence, I'd be interested to know as well. I can't find them either. I'm beating my head against the wall trying to figure out where to find the dang fish here on my lake. I can't find cats or shad. Hmmmmm.... probably together huh?

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    top, they must still be on vacation... probably in New Orleans or such. They'll eventually work their way back north. I posted in Jerrod's thread where he basically asked the same question. Think Ark was the same as Okla and received a very heavy shad kill this winter. They will eventually come back.

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Don't feel bad Top...no one is finding shad right now....and every one is looking hard too...The cold winter produced a major small shad kill..but the big shad will spawn soon to replinish the supply.

5. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Top Sarg, I've been pretty lucky finding Shad lately but I'm down here near Shrevesburg, Fishin the Red River I've caught Shad in the lock as I lock through ta fish the lower side....Seems like there feeding along the walls on algae, Two throws and I got plenty...If ya know where any concrete walls are up younder try throwing up against them.....who knows....

6. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    iv'e been white bass fishing at lock&dam 13 there seems to be alot of shad there if you throw against the wall you snag'em all the time and i'm talking big ones six -twelve inches i think with one good throw with a net you could fill up a bucket easy

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    you can't use a throw net between the bouys and the dam at 13..BIG FINE...

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I am having a hard time finding them. When will they start running here in Arkansas? All hep needed!

:lol: ...Their in the water Top...:lol: Sorry,couldn't help it.

Good Luck in getting them!

9. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    Yea, you definitely don't want to get caught throwing a net within the bouys. I wouldn't want to risk throwing my net into that current anyways, especially with the rope wrapped around your hand. One big log and your gone before you know it.

10. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    the rules say.......{with the exception of shad,baitfish may not be taken within 100 yards below a dam} this is in regs. under using live bait ...i can't find anything else about it. if u can let me know

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I called Arkansa Game & Fish enforcement division and the law is still the same and has NOT been changed. Catching bait fish within 100 yards of a dam with a throw or dip net is prohibited:confused2: . If you get caught you will receive a fine:crazy: .

12. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    From 100 yards below any dam and within the outlet channels of Arkansas Valley Electric Cooperative at Barling and the Murray Hydroelectric Plant at North Little Rock: Fishing is limited to a single hand-held rod or pole, to taking scaled rough fish with bow and arrow or to taking shad with a hand-held dip net for personal use.

13. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    Sometimes I think they make those regulations confusing just so they can write people tickets.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I don't think they do, I Know They Do:crazy: , the Ba well never mind I won't go there:lol:

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My son-in-law have found a few shad at the pipes near the Nuclear plant. I now have a few shad in my bait freezer.:wink::wink:

16. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    where are the skips? i can find shad on the Miss. river but can not find skips.

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I catch most of my skips in the winter time. Put them in the bait freezer and fish on them all spring summer and fall. Check with Coach, about skips on the Mississippi. Coach is from Greenvill,Ms

18. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Son-in-law brought me another bucket of shad last night. In the freezer now!:wink:

19. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Verlon, hate to tell you this, but most of the shad swam upstream durring the high water and is now right below Keystone dam. So thick you could almost walk across them it seams.