Where is the farthest north to find blue catfish iin IL

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by jeremiah jensen, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jeremiah jensen

jeremiah jensen New Member

State:
    IL
    Hi guys or girls I was wondering where in Il do the blue cats start to be present in the Mississippi? I currently fish around Savana, Il in pool 13. Last year we just started river fishing more often I am a die hard bass fishermen and think that I might turn into a cat one as well. Also are blues present anywhere in the Illinois river? Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

2. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    so you are a die hard bait fishermen lol just kidding.. welcome to brother hood!!!

3. jeremiah jensen

State:
    IL
    Well carolinakid76 I do have more hard baits then I know what to do with but I actually catch the majority of my bass on leeches or minnows rigging on the bottom. So now all I need to do is change the minnow with a bluegill and find those flatheads.

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. After you land a few #20-#50 blues, the excitement of landing a #4 bass changes, at least it did for me. Good luck.

5. Quincycatman1

Quincycatman1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know that when blue cats travel north in the spring you should look at any blockation of the river such as a dam. If the dam is a low-head dam blues might be able to swim up it, but few will get over. If the dam has gates then the fish will travel through them when they are raised especially during spring. Where I am from is a blocker dam and the water pours out like a spillway so fish cant swim through only lock thru like a barge. I also used to fish for bass only and caught a couple over 10 but thats nothing close to a trophy cat! When I caught my first big blue 6 years ago i totally quit bass fishing to pursue cats. Now I go out looking for the meanest baddest cat in the waters.
    The Katfish Kid

6. jeremiah jensen

State:
    IL
    Thanks quincycatman1 for the input. What I would like to know is how far north are blue cats found on the Mississippi river. I only fish on the northern section of the river in IL and was wondering how far I will have to travel to get into some good fishing. I know that I have excellent channel and flats by me but I would like to try and get a blue this year.

7. Stonybr549

Stonybr549 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish between Keokuk and Fort Madison and have caught blue cat. I guess I wasnt aware they only went so far North.

8. tbendz

tbendz New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yes they are the two in the picture were caught on the Illinois. They were 20 and 35 lbs. Good Luck

9. Quincycatman1

Quincycatman1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Keokuk dam blocks alot of blues from traveling north, Not all of them, but many. Ive fished all the way to Burlington IA and caught 20 to 1 channel cat to blue ratio. So id say that most call Keokuk IA the last monster blue spot.

10. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I live 10 miles above the Keokuk dam on the Mississippi and I fish the river alot. I also fish a lot of tournaments. I have never seen a blue catfish caught from above the Keokuk dam. I haven't even heard of any commercial fisherman catching them in nets.

11. Quincycatman1

Quincycatman1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Glad to have someone back me up on that. I caught 3 blues up there and all of them were dinks. I caught them 1/2 mile upriver from the dam. They probobly locked thru? Thanks for your input calvin.

12. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Are you sure they were blues Catman? You probably know more about them than me. Only time Ive caught them was at Powerton.

13. RedRebel

RedRebel New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish outa thomson when Im at the river, no blues but many flathead and channels. got a 30lb flat to hit bout 3 feet from shore reeling in my bait to go back home.

14. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The guys I know fishing the Mississippi also say Keokuk and south is the best blue cat fishing... above Keokuk not really a fishable population.

As far as the Illinois, don't they catch blues up to Peoria? Don't know, I know there's a bazillion bighead carp in there, though!

shawn

15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC Jeremiah. Carolinakid wasnt talking about your hard baits lmao, he was talking about the Bass you fish for. We (Catfisherman) use Bass from 6" to 5LBs in some cases for Bait. The biggest I have caught on a 8" Bass was a 22LB Flathead, but my biggest Flat of 32LBs came on a Bluegill head.

16. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught blues on the illinois in the bath/havana area. When water was up early in the year.