where is the blue catfish on the great miami

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by katkiller77, Oct 27, 2009.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    where is the blue cats on the great miami hamilton south

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've never caught a blue cat south of hamilton on the GMR. I've only heard of one instance of a 14 lb blue being caught down here, and it was about 2 years ago. It's pretty rare to get one in the GMR, I'd imagine.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    myself and a couple friends have caught a total of 5 blues over the years, one being right below the hamilton dam. 2 biggest were 30 and 16lb, the other 3 were between 5-8lb. heard of a few others and seen pics of some 20's caught by a couple guys from below the last dam on another local forum.

they are there, just very few in numbers so if you get one make sure to release it. would love to see the gmr have a good population of blues someday.

4. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I have fished the Great Miami heavy for a good 3 years, dont sound like much but for a while i was going 3 times a week.Also my dad which is 46 pretty much lived on the river his whole life and never ever have we ever caught a blue out of it.I have heard of big blues coming out of it but i think that some people catch channel cats that might have a blue tint to them and they just think they are blues. the best way to tell is blues have a long streight cut anal fin.Channels are smaller and curved..........RAT

PS. where i fish is right out of downtown hamilton so were in the same pool.

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    There are nothing but dink Blues south of hamilton on the gmr.I wouldnt bother.