Where is the best place to fish in the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bodi, Jun 29, 2007.

1. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    I got a new boat and was wanting to know where the best place to fish for flatheads at.
    Anything will help:roll_eyes:

2. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    just about anywhere you think you will get hung up. you'll find a flatty or two:wink:

3. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Hey bodi, get out at a few of the public launch sites over the next few months, and fish anything that looks "fishy" (holes, wood, etc). You will catch smaller cats doing this, but it should produce. You can read here and ask Q's to learn how to find bigger fish. That is how I started last year.

Another idea is to invite others out with you. I learn new things (and meet new people) every time I do that.

CP

4. wielms6

wielms6 New Member

State:
    warrenton missouri
    for flats i like to fish banks with alot of big rocks and slow current deep holes are good sometimes

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Willy gave you good advice Johnny. Flatheads like cover, and lots of it. You generally wont find the biggest ones out in the fast current. They prefer the stale water behind the wing dykes on our river generally. I have my best luck fishing the bases of the wing dykes on the down river side. You'll want to use at least 6 inch live baits, or you'll be in for a frustrating day messing with the gars.

If you really want to see how flatheads relate to cover, go spend an hour watching the 3 large flatheads in the aquarium at Cabelas. AS well, watch how the large bluecats relate to their cover also. Its a very noticeable difference. You can learn alot about catfish behavior by spending an hour or two in front of that glass at Cabelas. :wink:

6. bck1006

bck1006 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had good luck at Weldon Springs for flatheads.We find them behind the wing dams and in the backwater.Thanks