where is the best place to fish at nickajack??

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by trippyclwn, Oct 27, 2005.

1. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    this is a question i really need answered seriously i have been nightfishing at the old fallen over boat dock (past the t dock) and i havent had much luck is there a better place to fish down there? and if so where ? i dont have the time i used to have for fishing but i would like to get results when i do go lol
    i might hafta try bream fishing at least i can have bait to use lmao by the way i ONLY bankfish thanks to being broke all the time lol no boat or boat gas lol just wondering thanks in advance!

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Trippy, the old ramp where you are fishing is not a good place unless you can cast a good ways out. I have been over the area with our depth finder and there are some good fish way out there. If I was fishing the bank I would go and fish at the boils or just a little ways back from them. If you are ever there when they just shut the generators off, cast right up against the dam wall at the generators. When they first turn them off the big blues go nuts for some reason. You should have good luck there day or night. If you do get a boat and are fishing at night, try right in front of the flood gates. Don't even think about it if the gates are open though.

For some reason Judy and I have never done much good fishing that side of the river except at the boils and drifting. You are for sure on the right side to catch skipjack though. We usually catch our skips about 50 or 60 feet back away from the turbines there off the sidewalk. If the turbines are running there should be skips there. We use a yellow tube bait with white tassels or a white curley tail crappie jig. I hope this helps. Right now the blues should be tearing it up down at Nickajack.

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Trippy, I forgot something, down river just past the scrap iron barge there is some trees sticking up in the water there close to the bank. We have had several good runs there and I am sure they were flatheads. We have marked a bunch of big fish all around the trees there. It isn't that far to walk down there. I don't think you can see the trees for the barge sitting there but the trees that are in the water aren't far from the barge or bank at all. I hope you do good buddy.

4. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    thanks jim i will try down by the scrap barge i am getting tired of not catching anything at the ramp what kind of sinkers were you and judy using to keep your bait down when you were at the dam itself? i have tried up to 3 oz. but still doesnt hold it down good, my sinker and all still skip across the water so should i start using 6 oz. or heavier? im not sure how much my reel can take but im willing to find out! lol thanks again jim!

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Trippy, I don't really know how much weight you will need to keep the bait down there at the dam because we always drift fished. We use 2 oz when we drift but there at the bank will be a different story. Now fishing for skips, just use a small leadhead jig.

Judy and I plan to be down at Nickajack next Friday and Saturday. We hope to be there with Pete and Marilyn and fishing from Pete's boat. If you are down there then we will be looking for you.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jim is it time yet?? LOL We have the camper loaded, And the boat is hooked up. Heading to pickwick.
    Pete

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Pete, we are sittin on ready rockin on go, can't wait to get down there and enjoy some good company and some fresh air. Not to mention a little fishin :)

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jim everything checked out, and worked great. So we should be heading that way about 1 pm Thursday.
    Pete

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    That's great buddy, we can't wait to see ya'll again. By the way, how are the peppers coming?hehehe :D

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    What peppers??? HEHEHEHEEH They are green and hottttttttttttttttttttttttt
    PEte

11. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    jim i will definately try to make it down there i cant pull an all nighter but i will try to be there for a while if weather and wife permit lmao ill try to see you there! yall have fun down there

12. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Trippy, we will be looking for you, are you going to be on the old ramp or the walkway? We will be on the Shellmound side camping.

13. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    jim my trip is officially cancelled me and my wife are celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary and we can't go out to eat for it due to a basketball game tonight for my stepson. tommorrow night we are supposed to go out to celebrate it but maybe saturday i will get the chance unless another ballgame or practice is going on . hopefully ill see you down there saturday if all goes well! and catch some cats for me! lol

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jim 8+ hours and the fun starts,\
    pete

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Trippy, you need to try hard to make it down there for awhile. The group of members you'll meet are outstanding people and I'm absolutely sure you'll make some new friends in Jim and Judy, since they live nearby. I sure wish I could come, but I have an appointment with a whitetail tomorrow. I hope! LOL If you can make it you won't regret it, that's for sure!! Watch out for Pete though, he'll do his best to try and feed you to death if you're not careful. LOL

16. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    lmao bryan kill me with kindness? lol i will see what i can do i absolutely want to meet up with everybody down there but im not sure if i will be able to thanks to the mrs and her last minute scheduling i swear i never know what she will pull out of that hat next but it isnt good for my fishing time! lmao kinda like bullwinkle? hey rocky watch me pull some time out of the hat? lmao

17. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    well i got to go fishing down there today jim i was on the calmer side though a friend of mine and his little girl and my stepson went down there where the gravel ramp is (the second place on the right after you go toward the dam) and we were bait fishing lol then we went to the place next to it (next to the guardrail before the evacuation parking spaces before the dock) caught some bait but ill be going back tommorrow to use it! lol woohoo! two days in a row and im looking forward to going for three hopefully lol
    i might try close to shellmound soon i drove around it one night but didnt get to fish there cause of having to get justin home (my stepson).

18. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Pete and Marilyn, Bam, Lonnie, Mark Marcum and Mike Johnson, it was really great to see all of you this weekend, thanks for the great memories our dear friends.

Check the Tennessee thread to see the cat Bam caught this weekend.

Trippy, we looked for you down there but we didn't see you, I am sorry that we missed you. Mike (Tellico00) Johnson had a seat in his boat for you.

Bryan, we sure are sorry that you weren't able to make it this weekend. Did you get a deer? You should see all the food we had. Pete and Marilyn fed us like royalty as always. I smoked a ham that was supposed to have been a shoulder but it was OK. Judy made some super tater salad, and smores on the camp fire, Pete and Marilyn made stuffed peppers, homemade chili, beer can chickens, fried peach pies, 250 dollar recipe cookies, and homemade biscuits with all the trimmimgs for breakfast and so many other things. The trees were in full color and the weather couldn't have been better.

We sure did enjoy this weekend and the wonderful fellowship with our good friends. It don't look like Shellmound Camp Ground will be around after February 1st. TVA is trading it off from what we understand. It looks like it will be a privately owned resort and golf club in the future, what a shame.

19. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Had a great time friday, met Mark and Mike two great guys. Thanks to pete and Marilyn for the weight gain, Them fried pies are good. Jim and Judy the pleasure was mine.

20. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    What a great Friday……

Last Friday, I was able to meet several BOC members and asked as many questions as I thought prudent. <grin> Jim and Judy Marshall were excellent hosts introducing me to some of the nicest people I have meet to date. I met Bam and Lonnie, Pete and Marylyn and as I was leaving I met Mark Markum.

Bam that was a really nice Blue that you caught, congratulations. I would like to thank you for the fishing tips and the pack of Sabiki’s also the tip as to where I can buy them cheaper than at Wal-Mart. Lonnie that was not nice sneaking up on me and asking in an official voice to see my fishing license <grin> I guess I also need to thank Pete for the trip down the Tn. Pete’s plug came out and was just driving around including circles to get the water back so the bilge could get it out. And here I was following LOL After a while Pete slowed and told me what was going on so I didn’t have to follow. Also something about leading a horse to water or something like that <grin>

Trippy, Jim said you might be there so we looked along the shore but didn’t see you. Sorry I missed you, perhaps next time.

Any way Friday was one of the best fishing days I’ve had in a long time not from he number of fish I caught (zero) but from the conversation and my pleasure in meeting some of the nicest people. Thanks again Jim for inviting me!

Mike