Where is the bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by josecats, Jun 14, 2007.

1. josecats

josecats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've tried catching shad, skipjack, and anything but Ialways end up with nothing. Is it legal to use bluegill or not? I heard no and yes, can someone fill me in on the truth?

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    only if you catch them from the body of water you are fishing.. has to be by rod and reel. and you have to catch them as you need them. thats according to the kydnr at boonesboro national park

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    According to the KDFWR website you can use any fish for bait that is not a gamefish. There are no specifications on how you catch them. I use a castnet. Slipbobber it dosnt supprise me at all they said that as most CO's have their own interpretations of the law but the regs dont say that anywhere.

4. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    This is a link to the KDFWR regulation booklet.......
    http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/pdf/kyfish07a.pdf?lid=1795&NavPath=C101C203C588
    , It says bluegills are not sportfish and may be harvested as above. A minnow is described as any fish not a sportfish less than 6" long. You may have up to 500 of these. It does not specifiy a size limit on non sport fish for bait only that anything less than 6" is considered a minnow. I was checked myself a month ago with several doz large bluegill for bait.
    Live bait can be taken with dip nets, traps, seins and cast nets according to the regs. Hope this helps.

5. josecats

josecats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys for the info. Hopefully that is what the cats are biting on!!!

6. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The CO are like the cops around here also i have come to find out. Seems like some make there own rules and interpret them how they want..

7. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Ive been in the same situation befor, I know what you mean.