WHERE IS THE BAIT

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by TEXAS_TRUBADOR, Jan 21, 2010.

1. TEXAS_TRUBADOR

TEXAS_TRUBADOR New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT IM NEW HERE BUT DEFINETLY NOT NEW TO CATFISHIN

OK IN MY HOMETOWN (SPICEWOOD) THE LAKES HAVE BEEN DANGEROUSLY LOW, BUT NOW THE RAIN HAS COME AND THE LAKES ARE ALMOST FULL AGAIN. ON MY LAST TRIP I WHENT TO GET SOME BAIT AT ALL MY BAIT HOLES AND NOTHING NOT EVEN A MINNER, THESE PLACES HAVE PRODUCED BAIT FOR MANY YEARS AND NOW NOTHING, SO I TRYD WALKIN UP AND DOWN THE BANK CAST AFTER CAST SHALLOW AND DEEP( DEEP AS MY NET WILL ALLOW) NOTHING

MABY SOME ONE HERE NOES WHY

2. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Here's my best guess. Low oxygen content and existing fish eleminating a large portion of the bait fish. As the lake levels get lower and lower you begin to see that the banks are barren. This is a large loss of oxygen producing plant life that must be re-generated at the new low line. However, a lot of time is required for that re-generation. Sometimes the recede rate is faster than the plants can make a come-back. Have you considered wading out a net's rope length then trying to catch bait?

I have seen this same thing happen on Lake Nacogdoches at times as well as Lake Livingston. I went to Livingston one time and the lake bed was dry for at least 75' from the natural bank. All of that land was barren and we did not see the milfoil and hydrilla that was normally there. It had dried up and rotted away.

I suppose that without large quantities of fresh water re-generating the oxygen supply, it just gets used up faster than it is replaced.

I could be wrong ;)

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    What I have noticed is that a lot of bait gets scattered when the waters rise quickly. The current and mud coming into a lake will push them out of known holding areas. Wait until everything settles back down and you will usually find your bait catching is better than before. I noticed this on all the lakes in my area. The current will bring in fresh supplies of bait especially in the smaller bodies of water. By summers end they will have reproduced and you should have a great supply for this winter.

The one down side to all of the new water is that it will change where the bait will hold. The shad on Lake Waco like to hold at 25-35' of water this time of year. Well the lake is 3-5' higher than normal. This has given the shad twice as much water in that zone. I had to find new areas to catch my bait.

4. A&B Guide

A&B Guide New Member

State:
    Texas
    Having the same problem on Lake lewisville. I have been getting bait in the creek coming into the lake. 20 cast and I have plenty of big gizzard shad. throw your net in the bends of the creek where it is deepest.

JEFFRODAMIS likes this.
  5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    welcome to the BOC brotha