Where is the BAIT this year????

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, Jul 28, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I have had major trouble finding bait most of the year. Last year it seemed bait was easy most of the time. Mooneye, Big Shad etc.......

Heck, I can't hardly even get the Asians to jump in the boat with any regularity, even motoring in circles.

Alton area help for Shad and Mooneyes would be appreciated. I am tired of throwing a net for 2 hours just to get enough bait to fish with, and I am still usually in rationing mode or using pretty small bait.:confused2:

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I dunno, Skippy. Almost every trip I've had since the water went down last month, I've had bait in the boat in short order. Mainly just shad and asians, though. Mooneye down here are rare anyway.:wink:

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the bait is scarce in this area also... we spent half of friday in a creek catching bluegill because we couldnt find shad...

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    maybe the baitfish have just learned to steer clear of the cat sass by now:wink:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Skip, I have found deer sausage with Worcestershire sauce and pork casings work good for me. Grill 'em just brown with the juices running and then some stone ground mustard and ketchup work wonders. Who cares if you catch fish.

John.

6. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    We've been struggling for non-asian bait as well. In fact, after we get a few carp, we scrap the hunt for shad and goldeye. I guess I'm not patient enough to look for them, but last year we had no problem.

I'll just add it to the list of things I haven't quite figured out.

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I been on the bank the last couple of days and get shad just about every throw. But Ive been on the mo. river. Skip check close to the bank behind the dikes (I know what dikes:sad2:). thats where we been gettin them , but use an old net just in case you get snag

8. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Try areas with water running in, close to the bank behind barges etc.. Bait has been pretty easy to get down here, usually have plenty with one or two throws.

9. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    As a matter of fact I got a sure hit shad hole. Its hard to talk you there on here. dont want you to get lost. so next time you go out just stop by and pick me up at the CB ramp and I'll be more then happy to take you there:wink:

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I feel your pain Skip, I fished grand sat and sun. and could not find any shad. Ended up catching a bunch of black perch and managed to bring home a few mess's of fillets.

11. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Cool : Willie has a secret spot

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I have tried creek inlets, dikes, sloughs, the lock wall, behind barges etc. all the usual places that produced big time last year are coming up empty. Just getting frustrated thats all. Glad to see it is working down south. Specific Alton area bait spots would be helpful. NONE of my old spots are worth the effort this year.

WILLIE: Suggestion noted.:smile2: Although can't figure out why you'd want to fish with me again after the SKUNKING we took the first time. Oh yeah and the broken transducer.....and the rain...........:eek:oooh:

13. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Darryl it might have something to do w/ the dam gates being open most of the year? Have you also notice how good the fishing can be when it is hard to find bait and how slow it can be when bait is easy to find. Bait has been hard latey around the Alton Area for me too the times i have been out i'm only picking up 2 or 3 at a time try using to heavy castnet or add some weight to the one you have. hope this helps.

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds like you need Old Harry Old H, HE knows ALL the SECRET spots above the dam :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    The only bait that has been hard to find this year for me are the SkipEyes! I only find 3-5 per outing....Shad and Asians have been really easy to get...

16. F250CAT

F250CAT New Member

State:
    Millstadt, IL
    Do you think with more Pelicans in Alton that they are eating more of the baitfish?

17. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    River-Rat,
    Are you caatching the skipeyes in a cast net or using some other method?

18. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    SkipEye I know what your problem is, your not throwing the net where the bait is!!! Try throwing where the bait is!!! I garantee that will work better than adding weight to the net!!!:smile2:
    I'm sorry i couldnt help myself!!!

I wish i could help ya but, I too am having a tuff time finding bait, I watched you and and your partner do donuts behind the lock wall trying to get asians to jump in the boat. I have to admit i laughed my arse off. try doing that behind Maple island and see what happens. I am sure you will be sorry you did!! I can see it know death by asian!!

19. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    shoot darryl you should have bait all over the place down there since all mine washed down river to you fellas!:eek:oooh::embarassed:. truthfully Im having a darn hard time up here as well and it don't seem to be getting any better. good luck to you fellas!

20. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm catching them in a throw net......I would probably catch more if I could ever talk my lazy arse into fixing the big arse hole in my net! :roll_eyes: