Where is the 20lb channel catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JAYNC, Dec 2, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Ok ladies and gentleman, the channel cat record has been open for a year or a little longer with a 20lb minimum. Has anyone caught anything close to this lately, it seems that this state should be able to produce a 20lber easily. I caught one that was 19lb last winter but none close to is since. All I normally catch are big blues and flats. Are the blues and flats eating all the channels or what. Whats your opinion on where this fish will be caught, if ever.

2. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I've caught some decent ones in tillery and badin up to 13 lbs. I think there are bigger ones in those lakes. I think some that use this site have caught bigger ones in those lakes. Its just a matter of time, I believe.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Badin Lake has some real big channels. Afew years ago I caught some real nice ones. The bigger ones 21lber, 24lber and a 26lber. Most of the bigger ones were caught in the early spring up river. Now if iam catching that big of ones you know there's alot bigger out there. It's just a matter of finding them.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well hopefully soon, someone can fill the void in the fish records. It just seems like a long time to catch a 20lber. Either that or some people have caught them and not known that the record was open again.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Jason, you have just as good as chance as anyone, I would like to see a BOC member fill that void

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i know in indiana our record is 37 sumthin and been around since 1980(which i think is a long time for some of the nice channels we have around here), i would guess that itd be easy to get a 20 pound channel from NC, ive herd some storys about the catfishin in NC and ive herd its good.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think that there could be a record swimming around in Lake Sutton, as we've caught many from 10-15lbs. And my buddy caught one in there that was 28 the year before we started fishing together and the 20lb slot opened up. However, channels don't get a break on Sutton. People harvest every fish they catch, even though the channels over 5lbs out of there are nearly solid orange inside from all the shad oil they consume, and not really worth the time to clean and try to eat. In fact my buddy gave that 28 to a guy the night he caught it to eat! I don't get that one!

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah I have cleaned a couple fish a couple years ago from eastern nc and they just dont look like they would be good to eat. Thats why I CPR all of mine. Plus all of the warnings that were posted about mercury and pcb's. If I caught the record channel though, I think I would make an exception on the cpr.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It will come most likely next spring and I want to wish all of us GOOD LUCK in catching it. The BOC already has a few members with state records and I am sure we can make room for one more.

10. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I got a 10.60 pound channel in october of the dock at spring garden

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    How do u porve that its a certian weight? Pics of fish on the scales???

After i know this, gimme a month and i will have the 20lb channel (I know where he lives!)

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    GMC, here are the regulations for applying for a record in NC.
    http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_03_fishing.htm
    I'd like to point out for any that don't know, there is a link in each states section on the board that lists important state agencies. The mods did a great job with this feature. Listing not only state fishing and hunting agencies but also links to many other useful state agencies if you are planning a vacation or thinking of moving. Just click on the states section and scroll down.

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i'm not after a record, just curious on how to prove it on here.
    I dont care about any records just my own personal satisfaction. We lost one that i thought was around 20 at the boat last sat. But i will get him again!

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  15. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    If were talkin state record, who knows. If your talkin world record its gonna come outa lake county in California, probably from clear lake. Wich aint so clear anymore. :lol:

16. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I bet Badin will give it up, but I know Tuckertown has some nice ones. Think old farm ponds would have any that size in them?

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Lake Hickory is a good bet. I know some guys there who have caught some nice ones and they say they are expecting that it will possibly come from their lake. The catfish tournament weights get higher every year big fish better than 12 pounds.

18. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if the state record channel cat came from Hickory. That's where I caught my personal best, a channel, at 16 pounds. I think maybe his big brother or sister is in there somewhere.....but, who really knows? Maybe one of our other lakes will give him/her up one of these days! I'm not sure where the new state record channel will come from, but I can tell ya where I WANT it to show up......ON THE END OF MY LINE :big_smile:!

19. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I think it will be Badin or Tillery. I've caught some nice ones 12-15 lb. out of both lakes. Tanya, you ought to come down and fish some of our lakes sometime (Badin, Tillery, Falls). We can get you a new PB no problem. 20 lb. fish are common around here..... well sometimes. see ya

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    My dad caught a few around like 17-18lbs last year. Here in the Meherrin River there is no fishing pressure, and the Channels are here. My dad has had some I know could have gone 30 or more right against the bank and they got off. It's so steep that you can not really get down to get big fish with the net and you have to drop down the pier net which is hard to control in the river. I caught a 15lber in the Roanoke River also.