Where is all the bait!!!

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by KYfarmer, Aug 14, 2008.

1. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    The last 3 times out haven't caught a shad. Is everyone having this problem or do I need to find new shad holes????:confused2:

2. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    No problem with shad. My problem is with my cast net. The skipjack are starting to run. I have been having the best luck in the mornings.

3. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Hey Marty, shad has been hard to come by on the Ohio as well. However, we have always managed. They are not in their usual spots. We generally are able to see them "flip" somewhere on the river. Then we throw the net. My biggest problem seems to be getting shad that are big enough. Too many "minnows".:eek:oooh::confused2:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for all the info!

When you say the skips are starting to run, what type of water conditions should I be looking for them in?

5. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Have had the same problem, thought it was just me:smile2:

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have had to do some searching myself for bait but they are usually still at the bigger creek mouths. I used to be able to see them flip around at the top of the water but lately they have been deeper like around 7-14 ft. I use my fish finder and idle around in figure 8's until I see a good bait ball, I throw the motor in neutral and cast out the back of the boat (thats where the sonar is) and I would say 1 out of 3 casts I usually end up with a bunch of decent size bait. If you are out real early like around sunup they can be found shallower and flippin around on the calm water, but enter chop and boat traffic they tend to go deeper.

I am also curious as to where the skips are running, type of water and so on. I would like to freeze some for later on this year.

Good Luck
    Bill

7. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Just a thought. This may not have a thing to do with it but does any one think that the increase in Asian carp has anything to do with the shortage of bait? I don't know much about them but I hear that they are very agressive and I have seen them in the Ohio for the first time this year.

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I highly doubt that the asian carp have anything to do with finding shad, unless they are really good at hiding fish!:big_smile: I actually havent seen any asian carp on this end of the river, wonder how long it will take them to migrate my way?

9. KY King Kat

KY King Kat New Member

State:
    KY
    Asian carp are down here between Henderson and Paducah and have been for at least three years. I fish around Cave-in-Rock, IL and the old dam 50 areas.
    I havent been fishing in two months, but I will be out there this weekend!
    I know the striper guides have had trouble finding bait around the tennesse and cumberland rivers by ky and barkley dam, but they are finding enough to fish.

10. KY King Kat

KY King Kat New Member

State:
    KY
    I actually boated 2 carp about 30lbs a piece in June...well, they jumped in my boat...:eek:oooh:

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    No problem finding shad in Ky or Barkley lakes, the bays are full of them. I can take you to one spot, that right before dark, you shut your truck door a little too hard and the surface comes alive with shad.

12. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Here in kansas , since the hatch, I too have had a hard time finding bigger shad, lots of babies though. Seems to happen every year.

13. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    guys, i think the cooler water temp is the prob. the shad are not in their normal patterns due to this. do you remember how hot it was last year at this time? we have had some very forgiving weather for august thus far. it was not the case last year. probably is the reason the shad are small also.