Where I Grew Up Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by arkrivercatman, Dec 15, 2008.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Here is where I grew up fishin, and where we spread my Dad's ashes after he passed away. Its below Kaw Lake in Oklahoma on the Arkansas River. Its an awesome place. I have more memories there than I do anywhere else. A fishermans paradise. Big Cats, hybrids, spoonbill, crappie, white bass, you name it. Its in there.
    Last years flood broke the cable that we tied to and they have no plans on putting it back up. That sucks. We would tie up and stay for days at a time.
    When they were runnin alot of water it is rough down there. You have to have "sea legs".:smile2: Its kinda hard to believe that I wont be able to tie up there anymore. You cant really anchor unless you are back another 50-60 yards and that really takes you out of the zone.
    I didnt get to fish there that much this year because of gas prices and other things. I hope next year I can go more. Especially for the spawn run.:wink:

My Dad driving up to the dam.
    [youtubevid]i5RvdLC5nzU[/youtubevid]

Lettin out alot of water
    [youtubevid]-DyKR3gYF9M[/youtubevid]

2. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Here is the dam after the last flood we had this year. They had the ramp shut down and the water rollin!:wink: Look at all the birds!:smile2:

[youtubevid]CzH77cPy5Ns&feature=channel[/youtubevid]

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    The birds were indeed eating good.Just think of all the blues that were lurking just below them.

Thanks for the video Kyle. I would love to fish there sometime.

4. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    May of next year there will be alot of blues caught down there. If you wanna go Tom, let me know. Its only about 45 min. S of the Walnut. Lots of good fishin down there.

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    More cool videos Kyle, I grew up fishn a lot of the same places on the Arkansas.
    Let me know when you plan a Kaw trip, thats one I'd like to get in on.

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    We will get some trips in down there Ray, whenever you want. We could even take your toon down there.:wink: There is some nice blues to be had in the winter if you are up for it.
    Spring time is awesome too.
    Plus in Ok you are allowed 7 rods.:crazy::smile2: I have never used that many before but I can if I want to.:wink::smile2:

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Great videos Kyle, looks like a great fishing hole. Love the boat my uncle had one almost just like it his whas teal on the top half. Great fishing boat and handles the rough water like a champ

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Yeah, a closed bow V bottom with a closed windshield is essential for gettin through the chop below the dam. Keeps you nice and dry and makes the ride as smooth as possible. We would sleep up there, cook up there, even sh!t up there.:smile2: Even when they were lettin out alot of water we would be up there. We would just tie the bow instead of tieing up parallel.
    I miss those days.

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Funny story about the boat.
    My Dad was real good friends with one of the boat mechanics down here. The motor on the boat was a fresh rebuild and was clean as a whistle.
    Anyways, my Dad needed another boat and we didnt have alot of money so he built a fence for the mechanic for a boat in return. He had a choice of any boat in the lot, with more than 30 to choose from.
    He chose that boat. It had a tree growing out of it.:crazy::smile2:
    It was the only one that had a closed bow, V bottom with a full windshield.:wink:
    Didnt matter to him, the motor was practically brand new and the boat was almost good as new after a new floor.
    The fish dont care either. Its not the boat that catches the fish, its the man drivin the boat. That $500 boat seen more fish than I dare to dream. No exagerations either.
    That was my ol man. Simple as simple could be. Many times he went without food for the weekend because he spent any extra money he had on gas to get there. 100 miles from our house to below the dam. And he was there every weekend, no matter what. Rain, sleet, snow or shine.
    Ahhh, the good ol days!!

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kyle, thanks for the great videos, and mostly for sharing your memories, really enjoyed both.:wink:

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Sounds like an awsome guy. Wish we could have met him. Is that the boat that your fixing up?

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    No, the one I am fixin up was his lake boat. Its a 17 ft tri-hull with a 135 hp, I think. I cant recall what happened to that boat.
    Knowing my Dad he probably sold it for gas money to go fishin.:smile2: