Where-how-when should i go?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Fishin_Brud, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey,

Recently ive started to get into catfishing (unfortunately its almost winter).
    First off, i use shrimp or anchovies cut up into big bloody chunks.
    Second, i fish at saguaro-salt river (sag- don't catch much)(salt- never caught cats-only big trout and bass)
    Third, i fish early morning (5ish-5:30ish)
    Fourth, the biggest cat ive caught is 4lbs (embarrassing... yes)

I'd like to catch a cat thats bigger then 2-3 lbs, If any of you all can help even a bit-any tips or spots that you know of that i can catch any cat at other than those 5in. long cats that only steal your bait it would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

-Phill

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Phil to the Boc. I am sure you will get pointed in the right direction here for this time of year. Good Luck!

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Phil. As a new member myself, I think you will find that you have stumbled upon a great family of people in search of the same thing you are.... bigger fish. If you're catching 4 pounders, then you're on the right track and there is nothing wrong with a 4 pound catfish at all. Go to the member library section (use the table of contents as it's much easier). Look at page 4, it will give you a ton of useful information. I wish I'd have found this site years ago....
    :0a26:
    What size hooks and type of rig are you using?

4. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The thing is, ive never got a cat bigger then 4lbs and only one 4lb, ive never had a bigger cat on my line and to be honest, the 4lb was at an urban lake, Any help for any spots on sag? (sorry- i know this is the "river" boards)
    I'm going this weekend on a boat at saguaro and would like any tips i can get (any pms on good spots would be helpful)

-Thanks

-Phill

5. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, can't help you out on locations.... unless you take a vacation and drive to the Texas Hill Country, then i'd be glad to share a few.. good luck fishing and again welcome to the board.

6. Patton

Patton New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona

Hey Phill,

I have fished suguaro a couple times on a boat and havent had much luck but ive caught a couple channels the biggest was about 7 lbs, I usually catch them off worms and hog wild, and i caught it in the cove at the entrance of bucher jones. If you know where butcher jones is it has a beach right there and a little dock that people fish off it. Thats around the only area ive ever had any luck. I have a couple of friends that just fish the channel in between the two cliffs going back to the bucher jones area. Sorry dont really know how to explain it better but i know its more helpful than these people saying welcome to the board and hope you can find what your looking for.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea,
    Don't forget about nightcrawlers,, I use them a lot more than any other type of bait, except for live baitfish for flatcats...which I catch on ,,,,nightcrawlers..
    I've even caught some pretty big flats on ,,,,,nightcrawlers...
    Good luck, :wink:

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC bro! I dont fish the areas that you fish so I cant help on good spots to go other than to tell you to look for good deep holes at this time of year (deep in relation to the avreage depth in your area).
    Also try some smaller bait sized fish for bait if you want to go after bigger cats (bluegill, small bass fry etc...). You have a better chance of attracting flatheads in your area and you'll smash that 4lb mark in no time.
    I hope that this helps you out some and welcome to the BOC.

By the way, Im in the Yuma area and the temp got up to 84 here yesterday with a low of 59 last night so I think that the cats are still moving around some. GOOD LUCK:wink:.

9. KING KAT MASTER

KING KAT MASTER New Member

State:
    california
    your on the right site. All the information is here for you. Keep fishing and those 4lbs fish will turn into 20lbs I promise. Welcome to BOC!

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I heard of people doing well with multiple nightcrawlers on the same hook. As a matter of fact in the midwest there is those giant crawlers thats known for getting big flatheads and I thought about having some shiped my way one day. Crawlers is also good I heard for winter time flats.

11. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Here are some general guidelines for arizona fishing.
    1. Watch out for snakes.
    2. If you can hear ranchero music youre not far enough from the crowd.
    3. Big tackle. Minimum 30-40 lb test on a medium heavy pole.
    4. Cut bait. I.E. Bluegill heads, cut carp fillets, a ball of shad or worms, just remember that a catfish can eat a huge bait. Leave the stinkbait and hotdogs at the urban lakes.
    5. Live bait. This isnt bass fishing, hand sized bluegill or carp on a big hook. 8/0 to 10/0.
    6. Lots of cover. Think rocky points or mouths of coves with as much trees and rock as possible. If youre not getting snagged, you arent catching fish. bottom line.
    7. If you dont catch fish, move frequently. No bites in an hour or two, move to another spot.
    8. Try to find someone who knows what the hell they are doing and buy their gas, their beer or whatever until you see their methods and then modify as you see fit.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Mike,

You forgot industrial strength Mosquito repellant...

If you're getting snagged at the river..:tounge_out: