Where & How To Catch Shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Liver Slinger, May 10, 2009.

1. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Im a Green Horn all the Catfishin Ive done was from the bank with Liver or stink bait.
    I have a 14ft. VB I have a 4ft. cast net with the EZ thrower thing on it.
    I fish Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas

I dont know a thing about catchin shad can someone tell me what to do ?
    Thanks Ron

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    been a tough year for shad, but, ....calm water, back in coves, watch for them flipping on the surface. Be quiet, patient and precsise. maybe even try inlet creeks. good luck.

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i have pretty good luck at wing dams and spillways.. best time is right around sunrise and sunset, but it is possible t ocatch them anytime day or night

4. bankfisher73

bankfisher73 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like to hit the boat ramps during the spring /summer months. The shad feed on some sort of plankton that grows on rocks,concrete,etc. Also think windblown coves and ramps are a pretty good bet.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Around Boat docks is a good place to try for them also. I got some today off of a golf coarse that had backwater over it yesterday. Flooding backwater is a good place also. Hope this help.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, I'm a green horn too when it comes to hunting shad. Just learnt how to throw a cast net and have hit a few ponds with great success; BUT, the last few mornings I've been going to the river hunting for the shad, and, I be darned if they ain't elusive!

The dock is situated right in the mouth of Red River and I can see what I think to be schools of shad, you know, swirling at the top of the water with little fish jumping; I'll troll over within casting distance and the school will be 30 yards away by the time that I get there. I've made several throws but have yet to catch a fish from the river with a net.

I'd appreciate any tips from anyone who has stalking threadfin shad down.

I am a patient person, and I WILL PREVAIL! Actually I'm enjoying this very much. I was on the water at the crack of dawn this morning and it was very pleasent. I went upstream about a mile or more and drifted back; seen 2 deer, 2 beaver, a muskrat, an osprey, mama duck w/newly hatched babies (acting all wounded and trying to distract me away), and cows coming to the river to get their first drink of the day. I love God's creation.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I usually dont have any trouble finding shad, this year so far they have been hard to find in schools, i been picking off one here two there kinda thing. I go bait hunting at night. find a boat ramp or dock area, with bright lights. shad love the light cast up around shallow areas on the ramp.

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey Kyredneck, is that tabacco ur pickin in ur avatar?

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Yes, it's BURLEY tobacco and I'm cutting it to go into the barn to be housed for curing. The picture is about three years old.

10. I agree with you there, the scenery is always great when catfishing.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was having problem getting shad in my net too. I read somewhere, to spread the cast net out and paint a circle in the middle of it black would help. I tried it and it seams to help a bunch. I took a 5 gal. bucket and set it up side down over a fence post,spread the center of the net out over the bucket, then took a can of black spray paint and painted the center of the net down to the end of the bucket. The next time I went to try for bait I caught Shad in a big way plus bass, bluegills,crappie and even one small channel cat. Hope This Helps.

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU DOING THE RIGHT THINGS.SOMNETIMES ITS HARD TO FIND SHAD ANY WHERE I HAVE WENT ALL DAY AND ONLY CAUGHT A FEW SHAD AND SOMETIMES YOU CAN TROW ONCE AND CATCHA NUFF TO FISH A WEEK WITH.KEEP IT UP AND YOU WILL GET SOME.