Where have you been?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SeedTick, Oct 11, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Brethren, me and the wife usually take a little vacation every fall and this year she wants us to just go somewhere we've never been. We are going to load up in the car and start driving toward the east and see what we can find.

I thought this topic might generate some interesting stories. Share some memories of the different places you have been. It doesn't have to be vacation sites it might even be some places you have lived or have been stationed while in service to the country.

Here is one of the places I've been.

In '99 me and Janet were coming back from a 2 week mission trip to Romania. The flight back home had a 30 or so hour lay over in Switzerland so we could do the tourist thing. We went to Lucern and it is one of the prettiest places you could imagine. The highlight for me while we were there was a gondola ride up into the Swiss Alps. It was the end of May and in town it was mid 70's at the base of the mountain and when we got to the top of the world it was in the upper 20's and we had snow ball fights. I remember thinking while I was on top of the mountain looking down over Lake Lucern and the city that as a dumb country boy from Arkansas I never thought I would ever see anything like that.

So, what about you where have you been?

st

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Saluda, NC is beautiful right now. We stayed in a cabin there for a week last year with two private ponds and secluded on it own mountain (big hill). Best part they allowed us to have both of our dogs with us.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Try Fall Creek Falls State Park in Pikeville, TN. Check it out on the web.

Lots of good scenery, lots of things to do.......beautiful place.

4. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Greg, that is awesome! I've never had the oppertunity to travel outside the US.
    Last December I mentioned that I wanted to go to the Rio Grande and so the kids and I left MS and met my husband in Midland, Texas and we drove to Fort Stockton, met a few friends and he took care of some business on a drilling rig. From there the following morning, we drove 325 to Big Bend National Park and stayed in a lodge at the Chisos Mountains. Awesome!! The next day drove down to the MX/US border at Santa Elena Canyon and Rio Grande. It was soo nice. Then on to farther west to Alpine, Tx. We made several stops along the way as well.
    This past June, came to Colorado and never left. Have been from Aspen to Ouray (awesome!) to Silverton, Vail, Eagle, Colorado Springs, Denver. Much of the snow is coming in so not much traveling to do for a few months.

Cheryl, I have been to Fall Creek Falls. That is a very beautiful place. Wasnt the movie Jungle Book filmed there? Also Chattanoga(sp?) to Look Out Mountian and Gatinburg, Tn. Which was a wonderful family vacation we had.

Been down to Florida and Gulf Shores, Orange Beach countless number of times as well. Memphis, New Orleans, Shreveport all over Louisiana.

But W.Texas was my favorite. Was the one that made the biggest impression I guess, even though Colorado is breathtaking in itself.

If I had to travel overseas, it would be Greece, Santorinie, Rythamon (sp?) or Tucany, some Itailian villa.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

PS we just spent 8 days in Florida and 5 days on a cruise for our anniversary.

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    greg just head out on the 2 lanes and small hiways keep your eyes open for whatever

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Greg,

As the saying goes, Get your KICKS on Route 66. Hop on old 66 and head west. You'll enjoy all the sites you get to see along the way.

Oh, and stop in Tulsa for a bit and I'll try and meet up with ya!

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    And then Amy mentions Gods country.:big_smile:
    I like western Colorado but west TX is something special. In the past we have camped several different times in the the Big Bend, in the Chisos Mountains and on the Rio Grande. Awesome country down there.

Alaska and Hawaii has been our best but the 10 days we finished last week in our National Capital was hard to beat. There is a lot to see but our feet could only stand so much... and we both usually walk 3 miles a day.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    You oughtta come up here to Pa. and get a cabin up at the Cedar run Lodge. Go fishing till your hearts content. Just a thought!
    I suggested that cause the foliage is getting gorgeous!

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its difficult to pick one place. I love the coast of Northern California, as well as its mountains and redwoods. San Francisco is a great city to visit, in spite of its reputation as to the weird people who live there. Of the major cities I've visited, its the prettiest. British Columbia is hard to beat, though the Rockies and Yellowstone give it a run for the money. Lived in Greenville, SC for a few years and spent a lot of time up on the Blue Ridge, what a place. But, probably the places I love the best are the Ozarks, especially the Buffalo River and central Texas. There are too many other places I've been that I'd go back to mention.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Travel, it's the best. I have been in every state except Alaska. I have lived in many parts of the states and many other countries. I have been to college and learned much more from my travel than from any course. I always look for out of the way places like a neighborhood grill to learn about the people. Most of my better times when traveling had nothing to do with tourist things and almost always cost next to nothing. It's the people.

I would like to hit the road in the motor home pulling my boat and fish in many places with many BOC members. Maybe I'll set a goal to catch a catfish in every state.

Travel and speak to people. It's your country, use it. Thats my motto.

12. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    On July 4th weekend, 1993 wife and I just packed a bag and headed out. Had no idea where we were going. Ended up in Washington Missouri. She would sleep late and I was always a early riser so I'd head for Hardee's and get a couple cups of coffee to go and go to the park on the river's edge.

It was during the time of the big flood when the Mississippi and Missouri, Illlinois Rivers were all backed up. There was a couple of older gentlemen there every morning and we'd sit there and watch stuff float down the river. I remember a travel trailer and a 500 gallon propane tank the first morning. But there was a guy who would come and launch his little jon boat and go run his trot lines. Always came back in with the boat loaded. Next day he'd be back and do it all again. Should have had his freezer full.

Went to the city park and watched the fireworks on the 4th. I must say for a small town, they put on the best fireworks display we had ever seen.

Took a outing from there and checked out Meramac caverns and Daniel Boones home place too.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    May you have a wonderful trip.Will be with you in heart and spirit.I am looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back.peewee

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Thank you all for replying.

Back in '93 the company I worked for bought a new Hardinge CNC metal turning lathe and they sent me to New York for a week of programming school at Hardinge. Before that trip when I thought of New York I thought of New York City. I went to a town in the southwestern corner of New York called Elmirya. I was pleasantly surprised to find a really nice town down in the valley between some mountains. We got to visit with the folks at the plant and guess what. They are just plain ol folks just like us. They just talk a little funny.:big_smile:

But,

We ate breakfast 5 mornings in a row at a different place each time and COULD NOT find any gravy to go on our biscuits. I just don't know about them people. One place said they had gravy but what we got was the lard that cooked out of the sausage poured on some biscuits.:crazy: Yuck.
    We did eat the finest steak you'll find at a place called Mirellies (?sp). It was the place close to Watkins Glenn where all the famous race car drivers eat when the race is in town.

Anybody else. Where have you been?

st

15. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Hey Big Brother, I hope to have a bunch of pictures for you to look at. I'll be happy to take you along. I wouldn't have it any other way.

little brother

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    You might try the Great Smokey Mountains, but watch for all the tourists this time of year, due to the foliage. Could spend hours in traffic.

The beautiful tree at work (posted in the photo thread in the SOC section) is starting to lose it's leaves due to the rain, colder temps. It was 46 here around 7PM. Snow predicted for the mountains tomorrow. WOOOPEEEEEE! I'll be able to look out my kitchen window and see the snow on the mountain about 15 miles away. Not sure how much longer the foliage will hold out here, but hope to take a drive this weekend and check it out.

Take care.
    Cheryl

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Greg,

One of the best trips I have ever been on was with the Boy Scouts. We went to a place called Sommer's Canoe base. It is up near Ely, Minnisota. We left from Sommer's in canoes, headed across the US/Canada border, and spent 11 days in some of the most beautiful scenery you could ever imagine. The nice thing about the Canadian park, NO MOTORS ALLOWED. Even planes have to have a special permit to fly over it, let alone land in it. We traveled over 100 miles canoeing and portaging that trip. It was flat AWESOME!!!

18. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    One of the prettiest places I have ever been was the thousand islands region of upstate New York. The first time I saw it was when we took the ship through the St. Lawrence Seaway in '62 and I vowed then I would someday get back up there and spend some time. I did get back in the summer/fall of '99 and it was every bit as unique as I remembered it. I based out of Watertown, NY. It took me 4 days to take every available tour and I must say that each was different and highlighted different aspects of the area. There is just something special about homes with 3 boat attached garages. After I left Watertown I followed the river to the east and stopped at every lock to watch the ships lock in/out. Took a ferry across lake Champlain and visited Vermont in early September to see the foilage. I must have taken 20 rolls of film on the trip but the only pictures remaining are those in my mind -- too many moves will do that.

19. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned a drive on Skyline Drive overlooking the Shenandoah Valley in Va. This time of the year it should be gorgeous.

20. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Some of the prettiest places I have been to is Jenny Lake in the Grand Tetons, Newport Beach in Rhode Island, On the drive past Wythville Virginia in the mountains in the morning looking east on I77, Venice Beach Fl, watching a thunderstorm sweeping across the Kansas flatlands, the hills of the Ozarks, the hils and rivers of Coshocton Ohio, Niagara Falls, The forests of Maine, St. Louis, the Arch, the Mississippi River and the new Busch Stadium, the Horseshoe in Columbus Ohio, Opryland Hotel in Nashville, Washington DC, NYC, Lake Michigan with Chicago as a backdrop, and a new favorite the Land between the Lakes located in western Kentucky. Be careful there though for I have heard of a Griz in that area. :roll_eyes: