where have the fish gone?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Copeland, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Copeland

Copeland New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've been on a huge dry spell lately. i've caught one very small channel on night crawlers in the last month, and thats it as far as cats go. even the bass, stripe, and crappie fishing is slow. apparently is that way on the lakes for most everybody i've talked to. i had an older man (who was slightly intoxicated at the time lol.) say he hasn't heard a cat as much as fart in the last month.

anybody know, have an idea, or willing to speculate when things are going to pick up? i've got a catfish addiction, and i'm fiening something fierce.:eek:oooh:

2. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You're right in that reports are few and far between. The lakes in the Chattanooga area haven't been catfishing well at all for several weeks. Apparently it's the same in West TN. I read where Phil King and his partner won a weekend Kentucky Lake catfish tournament with a mere 70-something pounds... and that was only because they caught one fish that was 50-plus. If Phil King is having a hard time catching them, you know it's tough.

That said... I would suggest you head for the nearest tailwater area. Fortunately I've been able to keep clients on fish even when things have been tough. The last week or two, I'm not catching as many big fish, but the quantity is hanging in there. I know I've heard similar reports from other East Tennessee tailwater areas as well.

Attached Files:

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So even if the tail water is usually a bad place to fish is that where cats tend to go when the spawn on a river as far up as the can go. This whole spawn thing is new to me. I guess I haven't fished it much in the past but I have a been a few times in the last two weeks and not had much success. LAst night we fished some great holes and some coves and structure and we didn't get a bite. I might try fishing in some really shallow flats tonight. I just don't know where to start right now. I just hope they are done here soon.