Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Nice to see local chatter i fish Trempealeau n Dresbach. Good luck with channels buy not much to talk about for flats. Ive been in the backwaters with live n cut gills. Creek chubs live n cut have been the best. Tried lots of stink but little action. Goin this weekend n thursday let u guys know.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Yeah it is always nice to hear how everybody else is doing and how they are catching them. I havent chased channels much lately but last night my buddy and I went out to fish wing dams and he boated four flats weighing five, six, 12.5, and 14 pounds. another friend hit up one of my other spots in his boat and he boated a 38 pounder. The best part was when he was so excited because he is so new to the sport, he is hooked for life now! Heading out again tonight to look for my 40 pounder. Good luck guys and keep up on the chatter, hopefully we can all help each other out.

Went out south of Tremp. saturday night and boated 3 flats all between 10 and 15lbs. Would have done a little better but lost a few(3), and we ran out of live bluegills. We had alot of action. It was still alot of fun, hopefully going out wednesday for some more. Will be trying by Fountain City. Good luck everyone.

Cully, your friend with the 38 pounder. Did he catch it near dresbach? In a flatbottom? Using sunfish? Fight it a long time? Have another boat show up with a larger net? If so I watched him fight that thing for what felt like eternity!! Nice fish!!

Discussion starter · #26 ·
That 38 came further down near LaCrosse actually. He has Sea Ark and landed it by hand. Another friend caught a 39 pounder tonight. I always say I am going to spend more time fishing right below the dam but get side tracked at other spots and rarely make it that far north. I have actually never had a bite up there. I fish out of an 18 foot polarcraft with an Evinrude on the back. The side of the boat reads "Overkill", if you ever see me out there stop in and say hi. Usually fishing between the black river and north end of Goose Island as we usually lauch behind Gunderson on Seventh St. landing. What is the best way to fish below the dam? Anchor and longline or drift fish it? The Fatty Flatties are biting now so probably heading back out Wed night. Good luck to all.

Just got back from fishing by Fountain City (1:30am). Caught seven total, and probably missed that many. It was alot of fun, they are very active right now. They were between 10 and 21lbs, no real monsters yet. I will be trying next week!!! Happy fishing.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I have a friend who has been drift fishing below tremp for years and he primarilly drift fishes, never long lines it. I havent had any luck drifting my as of yet but i will continue to try. I really like those river pro's, i have never seen any around here. What engine you running with your jet pump? I have seen all the vids online and they are amazing. My buddy caught another 28.5 pounder last night, nice fish. I am on a dry spell that i will be trying to break Friday night.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Has anyone been having any luck lately? I have really been getting frustrated the last couple weeks. I was read on the forum that cut bait this time of year is prerffered bait? Any truth? Any info would be appreciated. THanks and good luck out there.

I think the temp jumping up n down so much is slowing it down. Was.in Trempealeau Monday did ok got a few flats on gills. Cut bait is very good in the correct place . R u fishing la crosse? The wall is good but like anything its fished hard so think out of the box. If u got a boat you will find them. Go to shallow flats at night n holes during day. Remember if u r fishing holes with little to no activity it's either empty or occupied by a few very large cats n they will eat or chase everything out. Good luck

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Yeah fishing mainly the power plant in Lacrosse down to the north end of goose island from a boat. I rarely go up to the dam just because it seems like there are alot of boats there to compete with. We have be using live gills and fishing wing dams and drop offs lately. Some nights we will fish up to eight spots in search of action. I haven't tried cut bait for atleast a month and i think i will have to try that to stir up some action. We haven't fished my real shallow areas with the dropping temps so i will have to try that also. Thanks for the tips, gonna head out Saturday night and sunday night and give it another whirl. What is the lowest water temps or latest in the year you tend to fish?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.