where have all the dang crappie gone??

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by brandonbtbt, Aug 9, 2009.

1. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    i went out to try and get some crappie this evening at salt fork and didn't find ANY..... i was fishing anywhere from 2-8' deep with a bobber and minnow off rocky shoreline....

i figured it's just been too dang hot for anything to bite...

2. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    in my bait bucket :wink:..........RAT

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    they are usually about as deep as they can get this time of year

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Here in the hocking river it's full of crappie. Watched a guy an women other day catch 30 or so an put them in a live keep.

5. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Try fishing a little deeper. Throw into deep holes or on the edge of steep breaks. Also, you could look for deep structure. Find deep structure and you’ll find crappies. If you have a boat you can cruise around looking for all of these things. If not, and you are limited to the bank, move around and look for points with steep drop-offs. Throw your bobber/s out and bring an extra pole to throw jig head spinner combos. Drop the jig down into the cover and retrieve it nice and slow with a jigging (up and down) action (lift your rod tip then reel slowly as you bring your rod tip down). Crappies go nuts for that. Bring a few different colored twisty tail grubs and jig heads. The water type and what they are feeding on will determine what color is the hottest. I like to have yellow, chartreuse (neon green/yellow), pink, and sometimes a watermelon seed. Those are my personal favorites. A jig head of the same color or sometimes of a different color can be used. It's all based on the same variables as above. Bring different sizes as well. You can buy different grub and jig kits anywhere and they are relatively inexpensive.

With the weather being the way it has the main thing is just staying patient and fishing hard. The early morning and evening hours will probably produce the most fish. I like waking up before the rooster and hitting the lake just before sunrise.

It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what crappie really love to eat and where they generally like to hang out. When old standbys don't work you have to try new things. I love fishing for crappie and these are some of the things I do when the going gets tough. Tough times are the best times to fish because that's when you learn something. Sometimes learning new things is better than catching your limit. Sometimes!

I hope you can use some of this advice. If you try all this and nothing works, just let me know and I’ll take you to my honey hole and let you fish it out!

6. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH

thanks man ill just have to be more patient!!!!!!!!