Where has all the bait fish gone? I can't catch any bluegill!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by USE TO BE, Oct 4, 2007.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was planning on getting some more fishing in before I have to pull my boat out of the lake for the winter, but I can't catch any bluegill. I used to be able to catch them one every cast around boat docks, but they must have moved. I fished for 2 hours for bait and caught 2 bluegill.

2. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    It has become harder and harder to catch them around here too.:sad2:

3. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man I hate to here that! They are thick as ever where I catch them at. They are up shallow in around 1 to 2 foot of water. I can put 30 to 40 in the live well in about 15 minuites. I hope you find them so you can catch that big fall flathead!! Good luck

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I know how you feel there. Ive been there to many times. Just keep tryin youll find them

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It's always when you really need em too, there in there

6. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I've been catching them around boats in the marina in 35 ft of water. I'm fishin 2-6 ft.

7. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I hate it when that happens. It can really put an end to catfishing before it even starts if you can't find the bait.

8. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    SOMETIMES I BELIEVE PERCH,BLUE GILLS ECT,GET LOCKJAW JSST LIKE OTHER FISH DO.ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED WHEN THEY GET LIKE THAT I WILL TAKE A SMALL PIECE WEINIE SKIN PUT ON A HOOK WITH NO WIEGHT AND TOSS IT OUT.IT WILL FLOAT DN REAL SLOW AND PERCH CAN'NT STAND
    IT.THEY WILL HIT IF THEY ARE THERE.WEIRNER SKINS BEST BLUE GILL THERE IS IT HAS EVEN OUT FISH GRASSHOPPERS & WORMS FOR ME I EVEN CATCH A FEW OF THEM GREEN CARP GOOD LUCK

9. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've had that problem too i think a weather change probably causes it so i stock and feed a population of perch in my koi pond in my back yard. When they get used to getting fed you can catch them at will and be ready to go.
    :big_smile:

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The bait is always where I find it... lately in 2-5 feet of water on a mud flat.

Later in the winter, they're 35 feet down. :roll_eyes:

11. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I can't seem to find them either. It is getting aggravating.

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The bluegill think it's winter already... they're not up in shallow water any more... Look for them in 20' or more under the docks or other areas that are usually baited for winter crappie.

Winter is the time for big blues... and the best bait is still fresh, still bleeding cut shad or skipjack. Learn how to locate the shad in the winter, and you'll never waste your time looking for 'gills in the winter again.:smile2:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    switch over to small creeks that feed the lake you are going th fish.seems like creek or river fish aint affected by cold or low pressure fronts like lake fish are.

14. mciver

mciver New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Have you tried using a small hook and worm? Try putting the worm in the water just enough so that you can still see it and move it back and forth or in a circle!