where flats hang during daylight...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by rcbbracing, Aug 31, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where do flats hang during daylight hours in lakes? i always thought they hung around in deep holes but with the thermocline this wouldnt be possible. So i guess i assume they hang around heavy structure in shallower water such as a downed tree against the bank. Am i wrong?

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I think it depends on the time of the year. If during the spawn yes. But I have noticed that larger cats are a lot like me lazy. I just say self --> where would I want to be on a day like this. Mostly just chilling and relaxing somewhere catfishy. In the shade where maybe a snack might swim by.

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree time of year is a big deal BUT Im curious about from now until they feed heavy for winter. I agree they hang out in these spots during spawn BUT if they cant go below thermocline this time of year for very long then by default they would have to stay in these locations even after spawn until the thermocline recedes...right? I know i am over analizing this stuff BUT if i cant locate the fish to an extent there is no use of guessin and checking. thanks again guys.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Here where I am at people have been catching flats in the daytime now an it's mostly near the banks an where there are run off's.

5. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i dont know jack about flats but i want to start lookin at tributaries like the one i was telling you about. current, food, cover all available. i dont think thermocline has an effect on fast moving water. of course im no scientist. i am going to be looking upstream around logjams near shore. water temps are beginning to drop and this is where i imagine they would be. rollo would be alot better suited to answer this than i am though.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I don't know if they do this in Ohio or not. Around the lakes in Ky. they sink Christmas trees for bass and crappie cover in 4 to 10' of water. A lot of time the nearest deep water to the sunken trees is where the cats hang out through the day and then they move into the bass and crappie cover at night to feed.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Under something.

8. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    I agree, I would be looking for them in areas know to hold crappie. Catfish usually prefer to be near the bottom. But if the lake doesn't move or have any current the water may not be able to support fish below a theromocline in the summer. They will be deep as they can get near a bottom. Crappie usually do about the same thing.

9. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think at this time of the year, due to the warm temperature of the water, they'll still stay deep during the day, but around structure, but as the water temperature cools, I think they move up into shallower water under the roots of trees and holes in the banks.