Where does VA rank?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Sep 20, 2006.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Just wondering what everyone thinks about where VA ranks in the United States for trophy catfishing. Among all the states in the continental US? Just curious.

Wheelmobile07

2. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    With the Potomac River on it's north edge and the James River and it's tributaries, I would say it is near the top in the counrty On a general note if your fishing on the Potomac you should catch a few near the 20 lb mark and maybe one in the 30's and ocassionaly one in the 40 with alot of good fish in the 10 to 20 lb range. Then we got the James it seems on an average day you catch some in the upper 20 to 30's with more in the 40's and ocasssionaly a 50 + fish then in the Potomac. On an average I would say that is near the top for averages. This is for Blue cat's. Now you talk flatheads it is a different story more and more flat's are been cuaght in the james in the 20 lb class so it will not be long when there will be some real bruisers too. This is just my opinion I've never fished the James yet but will this fall i mostly fish the Potomac. The James is only a couple of hours away so i'm heading down there to catch a bruiser it is my best bet to catch onE in the 50 lb class or bigger.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I don't know about the state overall but the James river I believe is the single best place to catch a plus 50 blue.Particularly if you go with a guide.I fish Santee and the James and I can tell you that as famous as Santee is if I HAD to catch a 50 I would go straight to the James.My best day was 9 fish, 340lbs and one of them was a 19 lb fish.It is so good overall that you actually get pissed when a 30+ fish takes your bait,instead of a 50+.Seriously.Guide friend of mine sent me pictures of him and his brother when they had 4, 50+ fish on at ONCE.They looked far worse than the fish.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2:

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I figured most people would say that it ranks as one of the top states in the country to hunt for kitties. I almost feel like I am neglecting my fishing passion because I don't have a boat yet. But that will all change in December when I FINALLY get out of school. Then I plan on learning lots and lots about BUGG's and The JAMES. I agree with what you have said about Santee too though even though it is in SC. Girlfriends dad took a guided trip down there and caught as he said "a damn flathead that was big as i was" still laugh about that to this day.

Wheelmobile07

5. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    I personally believe VA is in the top 4 or 5 when it comes to catfish. You've got the James and Buggs Island for huge blues. Buggs Island is notorious for some huge flatheads, as are other areas. And there are too many areas to list where 15 - 20 lb. channels are common.

And when you look at the overall picture of VA's freshwater fishing, I think VA is in the top 10 also. You've got the Smith River which has given up 18 lb. plus brown trout, Briery Creek Lake has untold numbers of 10 - 15 lb. largemouths, the upper James has some huge smallies, Buggs Island has some of the largest crappie found in the world, Philpott Lake is starting to produce some really nice walleye and catching 12"/1 lb.+ bream is common all over.

We've really got it good here in VA!

6. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    The James river has my pick for anyone with a little know how to get a 50 + lb fish.Last year was my first time fishing the james I mainly fish the ohio river but you will get many of fish in the 20 to 30 lb class on the james.My daughter and me fished four days last year and caught 8 fish over 20lb 3 fish over 30lb 1 fish over 40lb and my best a 75lb fish.We lost one fish we had on for 25 min that wore through a 50lb leader.I will be comeing back to the james the second week of november with my wife to get them again.

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    james, and potomac plus their tributaries. buggs island and many other locations. id say top 3

8. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    plenty of great catfishing here in va...i would rank it in the top 5 states

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I agree Id put it in the top five as well.

Wheelmobile07

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well if its rivers for big fish not states I would say the james and potomac would be 1 and 2. Lots of other rivers have bigger fish but people who fish them river also keep alot of the bigger one. Most people who fish the james and Potomac dont keep fish and when they do its only smaller ones to eat. With this the numbers of fish over 20 lbs has gone way up and fish from 20 to 40 lbs or more can and are being hook every day in their waters.