Where does everybody get their shad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by BILLYP, Mar 9, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Just a question to all that read this where do everybody get shad at? I can't find a place around Fayetteville that sells it besides walmart, and they arn't that fresh. Is there a special place that you order it from or go and check it yourself??? I would greatly appreciate any help.

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Billy, I used to snag them until I heard it was illegal. I bought a castnet and will be trying it out this year. None of the WalMarts in our area sell shad or minnows for that matter, just worms. The baitshops here sell minnows and goldfish and sometimes frozen shad, but not live ones. I think your best bet is going to be catching them yourself.

3. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Where do you catch them at? Im in fayetteville and I havn't ever seen any in the Cape Fear. Do i need to go more north or to a lake?

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Billy, I'm in North Davidson so I fish Thom-A-Lex, High Rock, and the Yadkin River. Sometimes I'll go to Old City Lake in Lexington. The shad that I have caught have all been in Thom-A-Lex, I've seen quite a few people throwing castnets at City Lake after dark with lights on the water. Unfortunately I think their illegally taking bream with but there are shad there as well. I've never tried to catch them in the river.

5. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    you most likely have shad around you but are not hitting the right spots, using a castnet try in the eddies and back washes of streams and mouth streams as well, in lakes early morning and late evening in the summer they will surface and school most times, I getting them in the shallow water right now, i look for them to break surface an head to them and cast my net in front of them about a foot or two, if there is a dam around you they will mostlikey be in the backwash of that as well, good luck

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    wind blown coves with a feeder creek coming into the lakes work for me. i dont river fish any but i dont have much trouble at all getting a 2 gallon bucket full of bait in the mornings with a cast next before heading out to fish. right now we get a lot of 4-8 inch gizzard shad. i fish tillery and badin this time of year. 90% pecent of the time we dont have to throw over a dozen times but the other 10% we have to throw a 1000 times to get one. lighted piers hold bait at night which helps catching bait in the early morning hours like we do. a cast net is a must.

7. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    If I'm not catchin any myself I usally can pick one up at my local fish market.Starting to pick up one or two now trolling in the river here at home.Best of luck to ya.

Timber

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Billy sometimes it is worth the drive to a lake or dam that you know hols gizzard shad or herring and bring a five gallon bucket and a cast net and fill it up and take it home. Then you can divide them up in ziploc baggies to be frozen to use later try not freeze them longer than about a month. The gizzard shad to work just fine after being frozen but not the herring.

9. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Where is teh best lake to catch those fishes at????

10. fishin'darnit'

fishin'darnit' New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I catch shad on the neuse river ,i use a gold spoon w/ a blood red line,
    fish all creek mouths the schools hold up there

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have something to add. once you do find them, drain the water off of them, and let them die. they're really hard to keep alive. and if you leave water on them they water-logg it washes the slime off of them. I put mine in plastic bags and put them on ice. i use a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of holes drilled in it. when most of them are done flopping around i wash them off a little and put them in the bags. shad secrete large amounts of ammonia when
    harrassed so it makes it near impossible to keep them alive without a constant fresh water supply.

12. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I think we are talking about two different kinds of shad.

I might have the names mixed up but the big shad you catch on hook and line in the cape fear are called American or Hickory Shad. Usually you can get them in season at most fish markets or at least here below lock and dam #1. I'm not sure if you get up above the locks how easy you can find them.

I think the ones most are catching in lakes with cast nets are threadfin shad.
    I don't think I have ever seen them in the cape fear. I have seen them in Falls and Harris lakes

13. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey billy.... if u want some shad, just let me know, i am always fishing sharon harris and jordan lakes and i normally end up with more shad than what i need and put them all back at the end of the night... just let me know and i can give u my excess that i get, i got a bait tank at my house so i can keep most of them alive for u. i get them all with the cast net at the boat ramps... pm me and i'll give u my number.