Where does a flathead catfish go after caught?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FlatGetter, Mar 3, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    After you catch a flathead, I would think that they would go and find a new hole. But they arnt to smart, cause I've heard of the same fish being caught twice in a row. What do you think they do.

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Unless they feel threatened where they were I believe they go right back to where they were. There was 'something' that made them comfortable in that place; it's home to them. If you are not harrassing them in some way, they should feel the same and return.

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    just a story I have, one night my buddy had a fish on, line broke right beside the boat. 30minutes later he caught the same fish and got his hook back! about 25" flathead.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have had 2 instances where i caught a big flat and later caught the same fish from the same small area. in 1998 i caught a 25lb flat in a hole where there is a bunch of busted concrete. pulled him from behind a slab of concrete that was about the size of a car, tagged him with these little plastic tags i have (ya i know its illegal), released him, and caught the same fish from behind the same slab 2 years later. by then he weighed 30lb. this hole is not small at all and he had plent of other areas to call home. last year i caught a 23lb flat in a very large flooded stretch around a big downed tree. tagged him, releadsed him about 200 yards down-river (pulled anchor when fighting him) and caught him about 3 months later in the exact same spot.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Dink buddy, I hope you have stopped taggin your fish. Being that it is illegal and we want to PROMOTE the sport with a GOOD image, and not that of Catfishermen BREAKING THE LAW.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with the others. If the flatheads find a good spot they will go back to it after released.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Here in Ohio, a buddy of mine has permission from DNR to tag fish as he reports his findings back to the state, anyways he has done this for 25 years and he mostly has done this with smallmouth bass and brown trout, what he has found ius that typically if you catch that fish and let him go that the majority of the time, the fish stays right in his home range and that is where he feels the safest but then there is the part where he is under the impression that if you catch and release a guy more then about 3 times in a short period of time, the fish no longer feels safe there from the trauma he has went through being caught several times and the fish will indeed move toa new place and call it home. He has documented this many times over the years where he will catch them a few times in short order then poof, there gone and then he catches them again in other areas.

If you catch a flattie on live shad 3 times in the next 2 weeks, I bet he will be as gunshy as anything to keep eating live shad even though his life depends on it. As any bass guy about what happens when you throw what everyone has thrown for the past 18 months , you dont catch much but throw them something they havent seen and your in business! Older gamefish are smart wild animals, the choices they make for food must be done wisely for them to live to be big and old. they are smarter then you think or they wouldnt have lived to be 15-20 years old!! Its as simple as the old mouse and cheese miase, animals can easily be taught to think about the ramifications of eating or not eating, vs. rewards vs vulnerability.

My wife has her masters in Animal science and trains dogs ( Dog Whisperer style) and horses, it amazes me the stuff she can train a dog or horse to do in just a few minutes! Its all in the approach used to communicate with them at the level they understand. Now if I can just figure out how to comminicate with large flatties......:rolleyes: :p

Salmonid

8. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I would think unless they are spooked by something they will hang in the same area unit the weather and water temps start changing. I know bass this do. I have caught the same bass off of the same "nest" year after year. I know it is the same because of the tag on it. In Texas you can tag a fish as long as it is not an electroic tag.

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I think it's in last months issue of In-Fishermen, they tagged and followed some big ops, this is with radio transmiters, the tagged fish moved very little, and on average stayed in about a hilf mile of where they were tagged. some of the moves were only about 5 feet. So i guess ops like to stay home most of the time.

10. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I read somewhere that the DNR caught & tagged large flaties with transmitters, took them up to a mile away then set them free, they went right back to where they were first caught....Home is home, thats where they want to be.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I think that they go right back to feeding and looking for bait. Two times I have and seen the same fish be caught within just a few minutes.

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i think a flathead will stay in the same area unless they feel really threatened. Or people take them all out of the hole. And i've seen how Dink tags his fish and its not even noticable. I didnt know i caught one until he pointed it out to me many months later in one of my pictures.

13. DensSang

DensSang New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yeah ive caught the same fish twice a few times

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i will heve to agree with most and say they go back to the same hole.

15. bootr1

bootr1 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    the frying pan then on my plate next to the fried tators

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Flats are territorial, so if they find a spot with food and shelter and are able to defend it they will return to it. The biggest baddest flats have the best spots for food and lodging. then you go down the scale with the next size flat on the rung picking his spot then the next and the next. These spots are won not given. So he/she will return to the spot they have chosen to call home. This leads us to another topic, If all you are catching is small flats you need to move cause there aint any big ones there.The small ones are there cause they have been pushed there by larger fish. The bottom rung suks.LOL

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I think they come out of the water while you are sleepin in your tent and mess with your stuff, then shake the tent, then make that real big splash back into the water that wakes you up just at daylight, and you think you were havein a bad dream until you step outside, and see your rods broke and all your hooks bent, and or gone, and your bait is missing, with a note on the cooler saying bring more shad. And your boat has slime all over it. Just a thought.

18. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    david,
    you are one demented person. that is me that has been doing that, not the fish. LOL....

Well, i think if i were to let mine go back in, they would go back home. Why go anywhere else...if you are comfortable you are gonna stay!

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If they are caught by me, they go back from wence they came(HOME)!!!