Where do you start

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rt_bohrer, Jun 5, 2007.

1. rt_bohrer

rt_bohrer New Member

State:
    Il.
    Hi, I am new to the site and to catfishing, I was wondering what to look for when trying to locate catfish. Do you look for deep water, brush, ect. What is the best time of day or is night fishing better. By the way this is a cool site.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    first off tom welcome to the boc , second anything and everything you may want to know about catfishing is on this site , you can do a search by topic next to new posts at the top of the screen in the gold bar .

as far as where to catch cats iv caught them in all the places youve listed at one time or another from land and by boat with a variety of baits .

the main thing is to have pateince and persistance .

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    It really depends on where your fishing and for what. Flatheads are more structure oriented than Blues and Channels. Personally I've better luck at night, but alot of people only fish in the day and do great. For flatties use live gills or bullheads, or whatever as long as its alive and kicking. For channels use worms cut bait stink bait the list goes on and on. I don't fish for Blues much, but fresh cut shad or Skipjack seem to work best.Good luck!
    Chip

4. rt_bohrer

rt_bohrer New Member

State:
    Il.
    Thanks for the help, I have been reading a lot of the other posts, I am going to have to do some research and find out what kind of catfish are in the lakes where I fish, and then get my line wet. I was also wondering if baitcasting reels will work?

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to BOC. I fish most in day light on the Arkansas river. get a lot of channel and blue catfish.I like flowing water the best.good luck:smile2:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Tom.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    welcome. ill tell ya what if you wanna catch your first catfish what used to work best as a beginner for me was to start off fishing farm ponds on the bottom with chicken livers.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Tom welcome to the BOC!

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Tom!!!

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the BOC! You've come to the right place for a learning experience. what to look for & where usually depends on, what kind of cat your after, what time of the year & what type of water your fishing (lake, river).

11. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Welcome Tom;

The question you ask has been asked a 1000 times but never gets old. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. I have always got my ears open to the great fishermen and women on this site as they are a tremendous wealth of information. Again welcome to the greatest place on earth for cat fishin.

Kirk

12. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC tom, glad to have you here! What waters are you fishing, what area of the state are you in? You can find out all you want to know on this site. Good luck to ya'!