Where do you locate skipjack to catch with castnet

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fosr73, Aug 18, 2006.

1. fosr73

fosr73 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey everyone i have been buying my skipjack and would like to start catching my own where is the best places to throw cast net to catch my own skipjack. thanks chris

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never tried to catch skips in a castnet, I have heard it's rather hard to do.

3. fosr73

fosr73 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how are they catching them?

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Chris,
    The best method for skips is rod and reel. Most guys use small leadhead crappie jigs with a small white or red and white curly tail grub. Youc an catch them on just about any small lure that mimics a small shad. I have had good success with home made deer hair lures tied on a long shank hook. You can buy ready tied Sabiki rigs or tie up 2 or 3 leadheads on a mono leader. Be sure to check your local regs about the maximum number of hooks you can use. You need a rod with a bit of backbone as it is not uncommon to have 3 skips on at one time. I use 50lb Powerpro and a 15lb flourocarbon leader. They are powerfull fish so DO not go too light. When hooked they will jump and try to throw the hook. Keep your rod tip low to the water and do not give them any slack. They are a blast to catch and sometimes you pick up a nice striper. Look for them in fast swirling water below dams or discharges. Thet do not seem to like dirty water and seem to feed best when the water is clear. On the Ohio they seem to like when the water is that clear green color. They will turn on and off just like that so you may need to find the pattern in your area. Usually when they are running they are easy to find as there will be a bunch of guys casting for them. Good luck...W

5. fosr73

fosr73 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the info metalman ill have to go try below the locks here in alton. sounds like they me be as fun to catch guess ill take the kids and let them try to catch some sure they would get a kick out of it. again thanks i appreciate it

6. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    You might also keep an eye out fot the water turkey (cormorrants) telling you there is predation going on. When Im on the river they steer me towards sometime feeding frenzies with baitfish (minnows or small shad) busting the surface to escape being eaten usually by the skippies!
    Have caught one after anyother at these times. Fast-fun action!

I have found those days where the skips are hitting, but not commiting may just be spitting it out as it wasnt what they expected-tells me to change my bait.

Read some that add weights to cast nets to speed the sink and do get em-plan to try this soon myself!

Good Luck!

7. fosr73

fosr73 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks onlyriverfish ill keep an eye out for that and see if i can get a few that way.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the Infro Bro.

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Thanks for the free info guys.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was fishing a tourny on the mississippi river a few weeks ago an while casting for shad seen a bunch of bait fish near the bank, it was skippys, in 2 cast we had more than we could use and was giving them away. You can catch them in cast nets but not all the time.

11. suggy183

suggy183 New Member

State:
    NE
    i AM LOOKING FOR A NEW SOURCE MINE CAN'T GET THEM ANYMORE
    THANKS
    SUGGY183

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can catch the skips with a cast net or sabiki rigs at the Alton dam most of the time. I have also caught them where the old dam use to be. Piasa boat ramp up the river road is also a good spot. The chain of rocks is also a good spot. Ask the river rat in the bait shop on Broadway in Alton where to find the skips. Good fishing.

13. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the info everyone.

14. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Just a note re catching skippies is to use the sakaki rig with a sabaki rod.
    Despite my many attempts using homemade rigs to keep the multi-lure rigs (sabaki) from tangled mess I eventually found the sabaki rod and never looked back!
    The rod is hollow with a bell shape end. Line comes out reel, thru rod and out the bell end (no eyelets). When line is reeled in the sabaki fly lures are safe from tangle inside rod hollow.

Having multiple methods of getting bait is the way to go be it rod,nets or whatever and love the sabaki rigs since changing to sabaki rod.

Thanks blackhorse83 for sharing that-have to keep a look out for that predation.

15. Ricky Dills

Ricky Dills New Member

State:
    Corryton, Tenne
    Good morning we are going to the river to catch skip jaCKS WE WILL PUT IN THE FORKS OF THE RIVER IN KNOXVILLE TN. AND GO UP THE FRENCH BROAD RIVER TO THE FIRST SHALLOW SPOT USING WHITE GRUBBS WORKS BEST YOU CAN FILL THE COOLER IN ABOUT AN HOUR WE HAVE A TOURNEY ON LOUDAN THIS SATURDAY MORNING AT TELLICO CANAL RAMP AT 8AM TO 4PM LATER COOL CATS GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS CAPT SKIBO :cool2:

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can understand the problems with sabiki rigs, but I use a couple of crappie jigs rigged in tandem, and I haven't had any problems. As far as the sabiki rods go, I saw on the internet where some folks had made their own using pvc pipe; seems a lot more logical than spending $40-$80 for a rod that does nothing but fish & store a sabiki rig.

17. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Can you post a picture of this rod? I try to avoid sabiki rigs because they are a tangled mess in transport. This rod sounds like it would be a solution to that.

I've never had much luck catching skips in a net. Those little buggers are fast! :lol: I fish for them at the discharge from our power plant and at the tips of rock dikes on the river. I use two or three crappie jigs on a Zebco 33 and light action rod. Color can make a huge difference so be creative. I have the most luck on white, silver or something with chartreuse on it. When they are hitting well, I'll take my kids out and let them help me catch bait. They have a blast!

18. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I am with you Joe I need to see one of those rods. Hey Onlyriverfish where do you buy those rods?

19. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Sabaki rod was just mail order-did a web search and quick compare and bought. Think it was 45-50bucks(?).
    Id never liked sabaki rigs either til getting the rod. Esp on windy days-you know the ones where everything that can get snagged-twisted does.
    Found wally world had a zebco (model? Big-tough like 202 big brother but well made thing) and works good with the rod. When done I toss the rig behind a side cosole and never a snag again. The sabaki rigs now last whole seasons.

I figure 50 bucks is nothing if I can get bait more efficiently and get to the business of hunting the fish faster.

Had some problems yesterday getting bait so tried some other tactics today:
    Put in at spot where big creek inlet is and found skipjack, croppie, drum and carp by the netfulls real quick in 20-25ft water! Never caught so many skippies in my net before so fast. wow!

Anywhere else today yielded nothing other that a couple 2inchers then went to this large creek inlet and got them.

typ. I dont catch skippies in net either. Figure they must have been lethargic.

Water temp 42 at omaha and lots of debre from past windy weekend.

See ya.

20. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I did a quick search on sabiki rods and came up with the following:

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xc...it_Sabiki_Stick_Combo_with_Spinning_Reel.html

I think that combo was $64. I s'pose you could get the rod only for a cheaper price...?

I have a question about these rods. When you are fishing, is there a tip that protrudes from the funnel shape or do you just use the blunt end of the rod? Doesn't seem as though there would be any play at all in the rod. Maybe catchin bait isn't supposed to be fun? :big_smile:

Some pics of the rod below...
    Look close at the first picture or you might not see it...LOL

Attached Files: