where do you hook your live bait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fshnutz, Nov 26, 2007.

Where do you hook your live bait?

1. through the mouth (both lips)

2. through the mouth (top lip)

3. through the back

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I thought Id'e get some opinions on where ya'll like to hook your live bait.
    Do you hook it through the mouth or the back. When you hook it through the mouth, do you go through both lips or just the top lip?
    Linz:wink:

2. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like to hook my live bait in the back or through the eyes.

3. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    On a looper rig in current I hook them in the top lip. On a slip bobber I hook them just behind the dorsal fin.

4. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Landsay,
    You may get more replys to you survey if you include the eys, and the tail. I usually hook in eyes or back .
    Paul

5. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Iv'e never heard of hooking through the eyes before! doesn't this kill the fish?
    thanks for the info, I'll try to add that.
    Linz:wink:

6. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I couldn't figure out how to edit the poll. I guess folks can just specify in their reply. Thanks,
    Linz

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Linz, if I am flylining, I hook it right by the anal fin if I have a sinker for example dropper loop or carolina rig, I hook it thru the bottom lip and top lip

Jaime

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    most of the time its in one eye and out the other they stay alive pretty good this way. sometimes ill hook in the mouth and out the top between the eyes. i quit hooking the back because id either not hook enough and fling them off or hook too deep and kill um.

9. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I hook mine through the back at the end of the dorsal fin, through the top lip if i'm fishin in current.

10. vaccouple

vaccouple New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Most of the time I hook my thru the eyes.

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Well - For me, it all depends on the water condition, since I do alot of my fishing in the waters of the Ca. Delta. Alot of the places in the Delta have pertty good current. Sometimes I hook'em through the back when fishing under a slip-bobber, but other times I will hook'em in the top lip when I'm fishing a sliding sinker set-up.
    :0a22:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I prefer going up through the top jaw and out one nostril.

13. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hook mine through the side of the jaw right through the first slit in front of the gills. I fish swift water 99% of the time and any other way the bait will drown or pull off the hook due to current. If Im fishing mud cat I hook them through the side of the jaw but a little closer to the mouths edge.

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    99percent of the time through the tail area.seem to swim around better that way.
    Seem like anytime I try through the head I wind up killing the bait.

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Mostly..... In one nostril and out the other but that wasn't a choice in the poll.

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    In the back just beneath the dorsal fin.

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Try hooking them in the stomach just above the anal fin if you're not fishing in current. That front spine in the anal fin on a sunfish is pretty tough and it makes it pretty dang hard to fling or pull the bait off the hook. Hooking them in the back for me usually results in tearing a big hole in the back of the bait and it allows them to wiggle free. I've had much better success hooking them above the anal fin. A buddy of mine showed it to me and it's worked very well.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I mainly fish a river and I have started to hook most baits in the top lip and out a nostril, or for big shad just thru the grisel of his nose. When hooked this way they can face into the current easily, and stay alive longer. When I am suspending them under a float I hook them behind the dorsal. I know this sounds wierd to some of you but I won't hook a bait thru the eyes cause if it stays alive all night, I like to say they did their duty and now they can go on about their lives lol. It seems cruel to release a live fish that is otherwise healthy but is blind. I have caught many carp and gills and bass with a scar behind their dorsal or missing part of their jaw and you could tell someone used them for bait at one time, but had healed up and survived. I haven't caught any eyeless fish. Just my thoughts, I know they are bait but still we can be a little easier on the ones we release can't we?

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    never had luck trying that one.. i mainly fish green sunfish, redeyes. i have had worse hookups that way... people argue that by placing the hook there they stay upright longer and don't tire... my thought is use a bait that has been taken care of properly, and watch him go!! i hook mine under the back dorsel, and towards the back...seem to be best.. the anal hooking has done nothing for me but a quick hit, rip and no bait!!!! rollo

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just be careful. It is illegal in a lot of places to release live bait into the water. Thats how non-native invasive species can get started.