Where do you guys trout fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by MattShannon, Jan 14, 2007.

1. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I've fished for trout in several lakes and streams in WV. Wondering where your favorite spot is. I'd like to try a new one in the northern part of the state this year. My favorite for stocked trout would have to be Stonecoal Lake. They stock big brueters. I don't usually catch many, but when I do, it has a good chance of being a citation trout (4lbs.).

2. buckmasterben3

buckmasterben3 New Member

State:
    wv
    well Matt i like to fish at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Curtisville Lake , [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Huey Lake and Big Run Lake near Mannington. I like to fish Paw Paw Creek here where I live. If you need directions i can tell you how to get to those lakes. And what are the odds of catching a big trout at Stonecoal?
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

3. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Mostly fish in the mountains "Elkins", I've got a camp up that way.

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Hey Ben, I too fish paw paw, for only 1 year now. Still learning the river. I found a couple good spots, but of course everyone else knows where they are too. I live close to rivesville and docked my boat there on the river last year. As far as stonecoal, I can't think of a better place to increase your chances on a big fish. Like I say though, you'll very rarely catch your limit, but they'll be way bigger than anything out of paw paw.
    I'm fairly new to Marion Co., and don't know where those lakes you mentioned are at, but might give em a try.

Jrm, I have also fished that way. I use to fish bowden quite a bit as a kid. Also, on your way to elkins, along rt 33, you'll see a sign for boyscout road near the upshur/randolph co. line. That's a good spot too. You'll see signs for the boyscout camp after turning off the highway go there and try if for an hour or 2 on your way to elkins. That's what they call middlefork on the stocking report in case you didn't know.

5. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Hey boilerman, thanks for the info.
    Im from the fairmont area and fish a good bit of the mon.
    What do you think the flathead catfish season will be this year ?
    We catch some decent size fish in the area what's your personal best down in the rivesville area?

6. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Right around 20 lbs, give or take. I didn't weigh it, it's the one in my avatar. I don't know, I think it would have to be better than last year for me anyway. Last summer was my 2nd year fishing for them, so hopefully I'll do a little better this year. With work and family, I only go about 10 or 15 times a year. I would have to say that my first year was the best so far, maybe because I caught my first flathead. I fished the Ohio last year once, and that was the best. Not with size, but numbers. Went to New Martinsville and caught 5 or 6 flatheads, a few gar, and a drum in about 4 hours. That was my best night so far for numbers. I did see a 50lber that was caught near Fairmont.

7. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    I fish Piney Creek. It is a small feeder creek into the New River in Prince...alot of big browns in there.

8. buckmasterben3

buckmasterben3 New Member

State:
    wv
    hey Matt what do you use on paw paw. i use trout magnets under a float that is the best way. maybe we'll see each other on paw paw someday.

9. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    About anywhere I fish for stocked trout, I try Rainbow Power Bait first. I use trout magnets as well.