Where Do You Get Your Bait for catfishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by HRCats, Oct 10, 2008.

1. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just wondering where everybody gets their bait from? I'm not asking anyone to tell their exact locations or anything like that. I get most of mine from this creek (pic enclosed). The thing about my location is that this creek was dead up until 10 years ago. When i was growing up we always swam in it but there was no fish because of the sulfur content in it. Now there is largemouth bass ( caught one 18"), bluegill, rockbass, chubs, shiners and some cats. I have caught chubs 10" long out of it and shiners 6" long. I get most of the gills i use from a local lake. And shad has to come the Scioto.

Attached Files:

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I gota creek by the house where i get some of my bait, like your creek it was dead for awhile, but last year i trapped what look like a northern pike couldnt really tell though it was small ,6 inch or so. but ne way the rest comes from throw net, or catchin gills at a farm pond down the road, and my brother has a bait shop, sometimes he , let me just say sponcers me:wink: but he fishes with me, so its all good, in the winter time we load up on the skippies down on the river, that just about it other that baiting the hook diffrent ways, using dead or live bait, ect. ect.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Roger, you know where I get mine at :smile2:

4. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    well we get our chubs and suckers at a local creek, shad and gills at 2 different lakes close by and shiners and goldfish from the bait store, we got a new livewell going to try and raise about a 100 feeder goldfish this winter and see how they do :eek:oooh:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most of my baits come from the same looking creek systems, and strip pits... I have access to some old coal mine area, that have been stocked with some of my favorite baits, including bass, green sunfish, and bullheads! rollo

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah i forgot to put "Jack excluded" . :smile2:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Creek chubs,small carp minnows and suckers,catch in small creek below the house. Shad ,and gluegill catch in a couple of lakes near home. Skipjacks Is where I spend most of bait fishing time, having to go to the Ohio since I've never seen any this fare up the Big Sandy.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Oscar Meyers :tounge_out:

No really I will usually buy some worms and fish with that on one pole while fishing or gills with another one. If I have the boys with me then I have them fishing for gills with theirs but my oldest likes to throw lures so hopefully I can get him where some bass are also.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Chubs from a creek by the house. Shad mostly from a nearby lake. Chicken liver and hot dogs from the IGA. Beef Spleen and circus peanuts from my good friend Carl Myers. Stinkbait from Danny King's.

My secret weapon:

If the cats aren't biting anythig else, I have my step-son push his girlfriend in the water on the opposite side of the lake. It will always cause a few to jump out on the bank on my side.:smile2:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Hey Jeff
    Is the circus Peanuts :confused2: Bait or Snacks very versitial item:wink::smile2:

11. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    It depends if I am fishing by myself or taking someone with me. If I go myself I catch bait at the local resevoir, my son is goood at catching bluegills. If someone goes with me they have to bring all bait needed for the trip in the boat.

12. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Local creeks for shiners, chubs and small gills and park ponds for larger gills and shad.

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i usually get mine out of the lake i am fishing at,if at all possible

14. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Got a couple creeks for chubs (don't want to over fish my fragile little creeks), lake and pond by my house (Eastwood) for gills, and I throw a net anywere I can catch shad to catch shad, and I'm still searching for a good couple spots for bullhead...

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    sunfish bluegill creek chub suckers from the little beaver creek kettering ohio. goldfish from the local pet store. chicken livers and hot dog from the grocers i work at. I fish one pole liver, crawlers or hot dogs. larger pole chub, goldfish or bluegill Rick

16. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    that looks like raccoon creek

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I get my own bait from whatever source is available and ALWAYS throw in a carton of night crawlers from Wal mart. I can't stand to not take them with me for some reason. Anyway, I try to catch some skips and put them in the freezer, the rest of the season is shad that I catch locally

18. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    SHHHHHHH!!!! :smile2:

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree Roger SHHHH, Especially about our shad spot:smile2:

20. HRCats

HRCats New Member