Where do you find your bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by JMarrs328, May 15, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Where are the best places in a river to find bait; bluegill, chubs, shad, etc.

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I always find bluegill in ponds
    Chubs in creeks
    Shad at dams

Josh

3. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    That is a good question and I look forward to reading all the answers. I'll give you my answer but it may not be what your looking for.

Bream:
    Shallow flats with slow to no current. Looks for back water areas or old river cuts or chutes.

Shad,
    Any inflowing creek, back waters, around boat ramps, and below dams.

Skipjack,
    Below dams and in fast current. I sometimes find them where two rivers merge right on the current break line.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    All of the creek chubs I use, I catch out of a small creek. And I use a lot of bluegills and sunfish from ponds, but some people are gonna think I'm lieing about this but...a lot of the ones I use for bait, are ones I catch below a dam in heavy current. I know it sounds odd, but I catch a lot of them in the fastest part of the current below the dam. But that's just the river I fish, just try finding slack water areas. Fish shoreline structure and any patches of grass.

5. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I get chubs in a deep hole in a creek.

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    All good answers I see so far so I echo that.

7. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Brim are in shallows or surface feeding near banks, bridges etc. Shad come out at night a lot when you put a light underwater by the boat.

8. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    Is there a good general location to find shad in a big lake in the spring? I know they head for the outlet when the water is running, but what about when there is no flow??

9. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chubs all come from creeks. Ultralight, ice fishin' shmoo or two spot jig under a little bobber with a little piece of crawler on it will catch all you want. Never caught chubs where there wasn't a hole at least cheeks deep nearby or direct from it. Creeks with grass hangin in it and trees shading it a big plus. Chubs on the terrestrials (land bugs) that fall in the water from these sources.

Sunfish come from creeks, farm ponds etc. Same fishin outfit as chubs near any type of structure.

Shad pretty well covered. Heavier current seem to hold bigger shad. Smaller shad seem to shy from the heavier current. Have a longer line (15 - 25') on your cast net for bigger shad as they seem to hold somewhat deeper than small shad.

10. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try the most windblown shore with the most rip-rap/rocks on it. If you can find a dike or levee (like you see in power plant cooling lakes) with some rip-rap/rocks on it, all the better. Again, hit the windward side of it. Also try around any pilings of causeways, bridges etc. where wind driven current is restricted.

11. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    My bait usually comes from the bait shop, I guess I am lazy! :haha:

12. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i find bluegills and shad and shiners next to or by a permanent wood or cover for them. i would take a cast net and throw all around and pull out as many as you can though you will get carp, gar, bowfin and THE CATFISH WOOO HOOO! but go around permanent cover and youll get fish or try creeks

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    One of the golf course ponds I fish at has all the bluegill,warmouth and b*ss I'll ever need.There is a creek by my buddies house that I can get all the chubs,shiners,pumpkinseeds,crawdads and small catfish that we need.