Where do you catch your skipjacks?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by john catfish young, Mar 2, 2009.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I live about 1 hour from Cumberland city Steamplant and about 1 hour from Kentucky and Barkley Dams, So I dont travel to these spots very often to catch skipjacks. I do have a great place in linton Ky. to catch skipjacks year round right out of the river channel. I went out today for just about 30 minutes and was tearing up the skipjacks. I am glad I dont have to travel very far at all to catch them. Only about 12 miles from my house, I can be fishing with fresh skipjacks year round from the bank. I cast out at the edge of a bluff and let the current take my jigs down along the bluff and with a slow retrieve have found the skipjacks to always be here even in the winter months. The water temps are around 48 degrees right now and the skips are tearing it up in the cumberland river channel. Where do you catch yours?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I usually catch mine at the Greenup L&D on the Ohio. Last year I was able to catch them just about anywhere on the Ohio or Big Sandy right at dusk. Not sure if it was because of lack of current(I know, makes no sense) but I had never seen them like that before. I've struck out both trips for them this year.
    The water temp here on the Ohio as of last week was 38* and 41* on the Big Sandy.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John I would call that a Skipjack Honey Hole.:smile2:

4. KamoKing

KamoKing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    your lucky to have good skipjack fishing that close...we usually travel ( up to 5 hrs ) to stock up on ours

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Getting into the skipjack here in the Little Rock area is a seldom thing; even getting shad is tough. So, I try to make a trip every year over to Pickwick Dam (250 miles) to stock up. I've got a 7 cubic foot chest freezer that I bought just to keep my skippies.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Most of my skips come from the hotwater outlet at the nuclear plant, for the pass few years the skips have been slow to none at all. I hope my fishing buddy and I may take a trip to Pickwick to stock up for the winter.

7. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I catch mine in the backyard. I live on the Cumberland river .Click on the link for a quick peek. :0a22:

[​IMG]

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im one of thos that have to travel.i use to go to picwick ever september,9 hour drive,but this year i made the cumberland city fish and camp,8 hour drive,in febuary so now ill be going to both that way i get skips twice a year.

9. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I catch my skipjack from my local bait shop because skips arnt native here in sw ohio..

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I get mine at Ft ibson Dam. I catch them on pink jigs or minnows when they have the water off.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I usually can get skipjacks at the Spottsville dam on the Green river. Most of the time they are small, have to make the hour and half drive to Cumberland City steamplant or hour drive to Barkley dam for the bigger ones.

12. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been catching some magnum skippies over 3 lbs. I've never seen them so consistantly big.

13. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    can anyone tell what i need to do to catch these on the mississippi or missouri rivers what kind of bait or jigs to use please all info would be greatly appriciated:cool2: i live in missouri

14. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use pink jigs or minnows. I have seen them caught on grub tails (white & silver) but I couldn't.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Top, I'm planning on going over to Pickwick in early June, just after school lets out for the summer. (Gotta take the grandkids!) If there are any others interested in going at that time, we can get up a little gathering.

Kevin, almost everyone I know uses either a couple of crappie jigs tied in tandem, or a sabiki rig. I use the crappie jigs, and generally start out with shad color, and if that doesn't work, I'll try yellow, pink, or blue.

16. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    where in missouri can i get these? im close to the mississippi river and not to far from the missouri im also close to meramac river here in arnold/imperial missouri all info is appriciated thanks.....:cool2:

17. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont know about missouri waters...but I am tearing them up in the cumberland river right now. Today I caught the biggest skipjack I've ever seen. It had to go 4lbs. I fished for cats with him and caught 2 Blues @ 5lbs each. It was good just to get out and enjoy 58 degrees and sunshine for a change.:wink:

18. catfishDK

catfishDK New Member

State:
    cincinnati OH
    Hey John Catfish Young , im gonna be working in cumberland area this weekend around Burnside,Somerset, Monticello,HYWY 27 areas any places to buy fresh/frozen skipjack around there that you know of?

19. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Not that I am aware of Bro!

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I'm not mistaken, the state record is less than 4#, so if it was actually that size, you probably used a record fish for bait.