Where do you catch your bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Naack, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    now their are more around my area i was wondering where you guys catch your baitfish? i usualy head to Oak hollow park for fast blue gill , indian lake, but it does not produce much.. i have family in MT Pleasant so il hit the Bridge port new damn, but its a 30 min drive from irwin ... you guys use the Mon or Yough for your baitfish and if so what areas?

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Tookany Creek for my suckers
    Wissahickon Creek for my green sunfish and red-breast.
    The Canal for LM bass and carp.
    The Mighty Schuylkill for the palm sized gills and runt smallmouths.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a few small ponds in my area I get most of my Gills from although I do travel to Crooked Ck. Lake or Glade Run Lake sometime to catch bait! My favorite pond has been overharvested! :crazy: I have been restocking it with small Gills for future reference! :wink:

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Getting bait is one of the keys to productive flathead fishing. You really have to put your dues in for bait. I spend hours before going after flatheads I hit local creeks ponds and even travel almost 20 miles away for the right bait on the youghiogheny river.Some ponds can get fished out quick if a few people are slamming gills they can get wiped out. I usally fish about 6 different ones and get som crappies too. If you are close to Mt pleasant i think there are some creeks up that way that would hold suckers and chubs. I also get bait out of some real small creeks that in two steps you could walk acroos but dont be fooled they hold good bait.

5. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a small pond just off campus that holds alot of bluegill. That is the main sorce of my bait...TATER POND!!!

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Try turtle creek for chubs or long run creek on rt.48,we also fish the catfish pond in port vue liberty area.

7. SUSQUEHANNA KING

SUSQUEHANNA KING New Member

State:
    PA
    what forum do I go to for doughbait recipes?

8. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon for the dough baits ya might want to check the members libary their is a Ton of info on this site :big_smile:

9. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Their is a fishing bait review on the main page i would think that may be a good place to start.. but you may want to talk to an administrator, they may be able to help you better.

10. SUSQUEHANNA KING

State:
    PA
    Your From PA right? Where are you catchin cats that big? I only ever caught ONE that big? They just don't get that big on the river! Let me know a couple spots!

Thanks,
    Brandon
    :big_smile:

11. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    do most of my fishing on the Mon but read through the posts their is alot of good info... everything from gear to hooks and so on :smile2:

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You can catch bait just about anywhere that there is a warm water discharge, backwater (such as a marina), and normally the "swirl" where two water bodies come together.

13. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Also..if you want to get into the BIG FLATHEADS, switch over to live bait.

14. SUSQUEHANNA KING

State:
    PA
    The interest in doughbaits is for a book i'm writing on doughbaits,dips,stinkbait.

I agree live is better for bigger fish! But like i said its for a book.