Where do you catch shad this time of year?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by kitsinni, Dec 18, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was thinking about heading to the river and was wondering where my best shot at getting some shad would be this time of year?

2. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i would think at some plants that will be dumpimgs some warm water or in the mouth of some of the feeder creeks..just my .02

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Agreed where the warm water is dumping out.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are a few discharges near where I fish I will have to see which one has hot water that day! Thanks

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    More often than not their in the same places they are during the summer. I can get them up here all year in the same marina's, and same area's I do all year, simply bc the water is usually up all winter and pushes them back into these areas.

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio

Bingo!!! Man, I know that come feb. or so warm water may be the answer but let me tell ya what the past 2 years have proven for me. Ive been at my local warm water discharge for the past few months skippy fishin and there has been absolutely no shad there. I mean NONE!! Everyone thinks warmer water means the world and it means nothing. Tell ya why i say this. beginning of the week while fishing the creeks were between 37-39 degrees while out in the river the temp was still 44 degrees. The mouth of the creek we put in at is a pretty deep creek and from the the ramp all the way to the mouth there were shad so thick in the creek my lowrance couldnt read to the bottom which was 17feet deep. the cloud of shad started started at 7ft and went all the way to the bottom. You could have thrown anywhere in that creek and had to many shad for the day in one throw. People get to mixed up on the warm water thing, although around feb. it seems the bait does show up around the warm water. Just my .o2 By the way it wasnt just that creek, we took a peek in another creek mouth and same thing. One things for sure, they arent out in the river fighting that current right now.

7. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just have to check it out....sometimes they are in the creeks as Trav and Robin said, sometimes they are near discharges and mouths of creeks. I had a little difficulty last time, but I have had a bear of a time in the summer too.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree that I tend to get them in the same spots as in the Summer but they are not as thick, unless the water is way high then they will be pretty thick. BTW, I never have much luck around Tanners Creek if they are not in the creek itself, I have a few mud flats Ill beat on on sunny days up the GMR but at the power plant and below and the discharge up the GMR, I never seem to get anything, and only a few smaller skippies when conditins are right.

Salmonid

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Find warmer water and the gizzard shad should be thick in there.

If you know of any sewer pipes flowing into the river, try there!

10. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Vaccum sealed in my deep freezer....haha

But the discharges are usually a good place to get them, and like Travis said usually back in the marinas and where you normally get them. You might have to go a little deeper and try a little harder to get them, but when you find a school it will only take 1 throw.

11. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    well Saturday we went out of tanners and the y weren't in tanners or the mouth or by the discharge. we went up in to the GMR back to the lake in there and found them schooled up, just as you go from shallow water to the deep water, oh and we had to break through a bunch of ice to get there,so don't know how much longer you'll be able to get back there

12. GMRcatman

GMRcatman Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just wanted to say to anyone who is desperare I usually have an abundance of shad on hand that have been flash frozen then vacuum packed. Shoot me a pm if interested.