where do they go?????

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bigredcatfish, Jan 31, 2008.

1. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I fish on a small reservoir in Nebraska and in the spring I am able to catch blues everytime I go out. I catch them in the back water around structure in 2 to 4 feet deep water. Come July, I can't seem to find them. I have tried drifting and sitting in deeper water, but can't seem to locate them like I do in the spring. I will catch an occasional one but not the action that I am looking for. Can someone help me locate these summer blues in a reservoir? What do I need to be looking for? I know that they have to be there but where???

:angry:

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It could be that in your area thats when they spawn seems kinda late for it but i dont know. Where i fish they spawn in may cant see it beeing as late as july but maybe.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Really don't know, I generally fish for flatheads (or sharks) in the summer, but you might be fishing under them. They have a reputation for suspending around the thermocline in mid summer.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Cory,Well sometimes those Blues can be Real hard to find. One thing that Helped in My quest for larger Flats and Blues is a Good Sonar unit,It will help You locate them. I have a Lowrance LMC_339 C DF.The Whole trick of your sonar is spending time to learn it. You can actually see the fish setting on the bottom or in structure or behind rocks and such.It Works!!! I hope this Helps. Now Go Get Um.J.D.:wink:

5. labdog9099

labdog9099 New Member

State:
    texas
    might have to do with the o2 level of water

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would suggest spending more time on the water. If you have a day that the fish are not biteing.don't go home go searching. LIKE JD HAS SAID A GOOD DEPTH FINDER IS A MUST.

7. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't go home, I just end up catching 3 to 6 lbs channels. I have tried deeper water, shallower water and a few humps, but nothing. I have never tried to fish for them suspended though. How can you tell the difference on the finder if its a school of bait fish like shad or perch and or a blue?

8. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Very good question Cory. I'm not near as experienced as some of these folks, but I'm pretty good at telling baitfish on my sonar. I use a humminbird 535. Kinda middle of the road sonar, and on my unit when I'm over baitfish they show up as just a haze on the screen. They're are not distinct marks at all like game fish. Sometimes I'll see small balls of bait, which are just round pathces of haze, and other times it will completely fill my graph. I've come to know what the bait looks like because I like to use cast nets to get my shad, and I've gotten pretty good at netting suspended shad by watching my sonar. Those suspended fish can be found by watching for the more distinct bow-echoes, although this doesn't tell you whether your looking at a blue or a walleye, bass, or what have you. HTH.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Cory I'd have to agree along the lines with these other fellows. If your fishing a resovoir with no current flow, the blues will suspend up in the water column, usually above structure or some type of ledge. If your resovoir has an old river channel going through it, you might want to look for larger fish suspending on the edge of the channel.

Of course, you live a little farther north then we do here in Missouri. Our fish are typically spawning in May and June. I dont know much about the spawning time frame in your neck of the woods, but I suspect its possible your fish could possibly be still spawning in July. A call to your local fisheries biologist might provide some usefull information as well.

10. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Have you tried drifting for them? Just a thought if not. I usually try shallow early in the morning and then move out a little to mid depth and then go a little deeper. I usually key in on the edge of a channel. If I am not casting for them in the shallow water, I am always drifting.

11. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I know there are some excellent articles in the library on how to read your finder. try there. It helped me alot