Where do they go?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by litltman, Feb 22, 2007.

1. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    good morning. ? why is it when the weather turns cold, I don't catch any red brest in the rivers. then when it warms up, whamo. I catch them again. I have fished the deepest part and the shallow part. however, no luck in the winter. they have to eat something. they are not sleeping all winter long. we need to have the wildlife to put a tracking device on some of them so we know what happens with them. or is it just me that cant catch them in the winter time.they have to be in there. they don't just hitch hike to the hotel for a winter stay with breakfast in bed every day. what gives with this anyhow. thanks . have a blessed day. :roll_eyes:

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Steve welcome to the BOC. They do not have to feed in the winter as much because their motabilisim slows way down. They will migrate to deeper waters but they are mainly sight feeders so maybe they cant pick out the bait as much but I have seen in the summer when the water gets to its peak temp and the watrer clarity is great you can put a worm out there and they will just run up to it and never touch it. Mainly I just dont know but that is my best guess from my experience.

3. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I'm not sure about the red breast but we have been able to catch warmouths all winter long by going up the creeks off the river and lead lining for them. get your zebco 33 out and tie a bream hook bout a foot up the line and make your knot so that the hook has about a 6" leader for it. Tie about an 1/8th or 1/4 ounce sinker on the bottom. Now ease up the creek and when you find a hole that drops down a few feet from the rest of the channel drop your rig in the water and just easyily bump the sinker up and down off the bottom a foot or so. Remember the fish are lathargic so you have to work it real slow, but they'll bite nand they are a lot of fun to catch that way.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good post, Colt, and welcome to the BOC. It used to be a lot of fun catching those mollies like that, although I haven't done it in years. (And the bassers thought they invented 'drop-shotting')

5. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    I think Hurricane Hugo really screwed up the redbreast fishing. Lynches River used to produce a good day of fishing almost any day. Hugo made fishing the river almost impossible and after it was made navigable again the redbreast numbers are nowhere near what they used to be. Perhaps it is just me, but I was successful before and it was like the fish got blown away in the storm. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I dont have a thought I have the answer FLATHEADS.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

Thats what the state has stated also rivercatsc. I'm sure Hugo didn't help matters any but its not to get all the blame.

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah thats the fuel they use for the fire for letting people wipe out the catfish. An officer at the DNR told me himself that nobody cares about the catfish or if they are over harvested.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah, the flatheads have gotten the blame for eating up all the bullheads and red breast in a number of rivers. No question that they eat them, but I'm unaware of any rigorous study that would prove the cats responsibility. Funny thing, on the Edisto, the density of sunfish seems to be lowest where the most fishermen are.

Unfortunately, law enforcement (and the general assembly with their assessment of angler priorities) still hasn't caught up. They are all still working under the assumption that fishermen (and especially catfishermen) are a bunch of meat-hungry bubbas (no offense to the real "Bubbas" out there) who can't think beyond the capacity of our freezers. It's up to us, as catfishermen, to let them all know that we are a large group of sportsmen, just like any other, and that we care about conservation and a healthy resource and will do what it takes to ensure the future of our preferred fishery.

The cats are out of the bag, so to speak. The blue and flathead cats are in our rivers to stay, and a whole lot of us are happy about that, so it only makes sense to manage them like any other sportfish.

10. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    RiverratSC and rivercatsc, I agree that flatheads have helped diminish the redbreast population but there are still plenty of bream and other panfish. I am also sure that the flatheads were in Lynches River prior to Hugo. It just seems as though the breeding sites were either relocated due to the massive storm, ie. relocated the sandy areas, or something. I am by no means a biologist but it sure seems that in less than 2 short years 89-91, the redbreast fishing went to the pot between Effingham and and I-95. I used to catch them regularly around Sardis, both upriver and down. I am sure Hugo does not get all the blame, but if we are to put the cause on flatheads, should we consider putting a limit on them? If they are the massive predators that some claim (no one in here that I know of) then why would the legislature put a limit on them? Please allow me to clarify that: I am for the limit, I think there needs to be a limit on the bigger fish. Please do not get upset and slam me, my ego is fragile, since I can't go fishing right now I am already pouting...LOL. Have a great week

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think my flathead post might have come out wrong cause I sure am not aganst them they are my favorite fish in the world. Now dont get me wrong I like to catch redbreast also cause they sure do make awsome flathead bait.LOL I am just kidding. I do most of my pan fishing in local ponds so I not a great source on local rivers. I will tell u this the flathead population in the hgy301-hgy378 area has greatly diminished cause people very rarely caught crappie and redbreast in the river and now you always hear about them burning them up.